Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Using App as a SatNav

Tuesday 23 April
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello.  I recently cycled from Dieppe to Mettmenstten, south of Zurich.  I used cycle.travel to create and adjust my route. I used my Garmin to navigate on the route BUT, my Garmin failed me!  I lost navigation.  I resorted to the Cycle.Travel app for navigation-it was brilliant (apart from I didn't take a handlebar phone holder-my mistake). To my point. Whilst following y route, the app continuously updated my position on the route as expected.  However, once the marker got to the edge of my phone, it went off screen and I had to manually move the map to see the next section.  Is there a setting that I'm missing so that the map automatically moves on screen to the show the next part of the route-much as a car SatNav does?

Thanks for any help.

Peter

Comments

Wed 24 Apr, 08:30

Peter, you don't say if you're on android or IOS but you should be able to go click on the flag symbol (top right) and choose the most appropriate of centred, look ahead or perspective. 

Also, depending on your settings (start automatically) you may need to "start" the route (I think), otherwise the route is loaded but the app doesn't know you've started. If it's giving Turn by turn directions then it has already started.

Just curious - what was the issue with the Garmin?  

Wed 24 Apr, 10:25

Many thanks for that. It us on android. I'll try that on my next ride. Think I had it on the wrong setting. My Garmin screen seemed to fail-no image but was running in background as noises eg. turns etc were still working. I had noticed a patch on the screen with missing image. Strange! Thanks again.

Wed 24 Apr, 17:52

If you drag the map away from the current position then tracking stops.

If you want to re-start tracking, so that the map follows your location, tap the ‘location’ button in the top right (a pointer on iPhone, a target on Android).