Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Show elevation triggers unwanted route recalculation

26 Jun 2023
by Sandman
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi,

I have a longish route planned with a few overnights. You can see the Journey here.

I wanted to see the elevation profile for the whole trip and kinda get a rough idea about the difference between each day. But when I click the "Show elevation" button, the route changes.

See below two images of day 2 from ~30km marker. The first image is without elevation profile and it continues west as it should. The second images if with elevation profile and now the route takes a sharp turn towards north. Any ideas whats going on here?

Br,

Sandman

Comments

Mon 26 Jun 2023, 16:17

Ah, just stumbled upon this. So I guess the recalculation is somewhat of a feature at the moment but might change in the future?

If I would've had the elevation profile "enabled" when I first created the route, would it mitigate the issue?

Mon 26 Jun 2023, 16:54

Can't speak for what is happening under the hood.

If you want to stick to your original route, simply add some viapoints along the way. That will stop such an extreme recalculation.

I admit that this threw me when I first discovered this quite a while ago. Adding viapoints maintained my sanity :-)