Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Elevation profile issue

8 Jun 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I’ve just finished Caen-Lyon-Biarritz with the assistance of cycle.travel routing - fantastic !! However my Garmin (explore) failed to receive the elevation data with each 75mile (ish) section. Previously there’s been no problem. The sections were created on line (Mac /safari) and transferred directly to the ‘New files’ folder on the Garmin. Any idea what’s causing this ?  Thanks. Tom

Comments

Thu 8 Jun 2023, 17:40

Not being familiar with Mac/Safari but having experience the same issue (on Android) it was down to the fact that the Elevation profile should be toggled "on" -i.e. visible on the map page- before downloading.

I do it far too often :-) I have tried to form the habit of downloading from the map page as opposed to downloading from the "my journeys" page.

Failing that, I'd try downloading a test route in different formats because my understanding is that garmins can sometimes be pernickity.

Fri 9 Jun 2023, 11:08

Great thought. I’ll give it a go, thanks. But quite why one wouldn’t want elevation data is beyond me. Surely this should be ‘on’ by default ?

Cheers

Fri 9 Jun 2023, 12:47

"But quite why one wouldn’t want elevation data is beyond me. Surely this should be ‘on’ by default ?"

My understanding is that calculating the elevation is quite "server intensive" and if it was being constantly calculated and recalculated as every user moved or added a viapoint we'd all suffer the consequences. 

As someone who wandered around on a bike for quite a while without gps and without elevation information there is something to be said for a more basic approach. Then I hit the Appalachians :-))

Fri 9 Jun 2023, 12:54

If you take the send to Garmin Connect option and then sync the route to your Garmin explore it will always have the elevation data. At least that's my experience with the Garmin edge. I find the Garmin app particularly helpful with this. Definitely simpler than manually moving files and the magic seems to happen via Bluetooth. I highly recommend it. Having said that, I am using android. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Fri 9 Jun 2023, 15:47

It’s a combination of two things. As Hobbes says there’s a bit of a server resources issue. But it’s also because retrieving the elevation recalculates the route, and if you created the route a while ago, this could lead to an unexpected and unwanted diversion (because the map database and cycle.travel’s weightings have since been updated). It is something I’d like to look at in the future.

Wed 21 Jun 2023, 17:49

Thank you all for your comments. HobbesOnTour's solution works perfectly.