Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

App for android

31 Mar 2023
by freedom
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Any idea when you'll have the app for android ready?

Comments

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 12:32

I’m hoping for early summer, all things being equal. It might not be 100% full-featured in the very first version but I’d like to get something out sooner rather than later!

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 08:23

Yes please, love it, looking forward to it

Thu 20 Apr 2023, 17:12

Thank you, looking forward to it! My life would be significantly safer with even a rudimentary ability to use your routes on my phone - right now, Google seems to love throwing me headlong into 60 mph traffic

Thu 20 Apr 2023, 17:28

Scott, if you're riding locally you should be able to download Osmand (for free), create routes on CT and follow them on Osmand. It's been a while, but I think you can download a significant amount of real estate before you have to pay.

I follow an 80/20 rule of thumb with Google Maps and Google Translate. 80% of the time it's OK but 20% of the time it could get me killed. 

Osmand has turn by turn, voice commands, rerouting etc. But it's not  great planner, depending on where you are. 

Tue 1 Aug 2023, 18:56

Any news on the Android app?

I'm happy to be a beta (or even alpha!) tester if that would help 🙂

Wed 2 Aug 2023, 01:29

The first test version is currently with Google for review – we’ll see if they throw up any challenges before it can go live!

Wed 2 Aug 2023, 18:59

Hmm, amazing.

Do you have any private time?

Fri 4 Aug 2023, 16:49

Not a lot in the past few weeks to be honest! But I might take a break now :)

Fri 4 Aug 2023, 22:46

Great fun to have a play with on my Motorola. I'll test some more over the weekend. Thanks for doing this!

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 09:18

Brilliant cheers (Motorola g50) might even get out after the storms blown over 🙄. Apps looking good though.

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 17:22

Amazing work to get this out. Cycle.travel on web is by far the best way to plan routes, but you need an app out on the bike! So thank you!

I'm struggling a bit with the UI for loading routes. Clicking on a Route in the saved journey folder appears to do nothing for many of my routes, then I discovered it does load routes, but only nearby ones. I would have thought you would be able to load any route and look at it on the map, even if you weren't near enough to the start to begin navigating?

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 17:37

For me it seems to not load routes older than about 2 years. I can load more recent routes all over Europe without problems.

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 21:36

I think it's a little over-enthusiastic sometimes about focusing the map on your current location - I'll look into that. It should be able to load a route from anywhere but I think it probably isn’t always zooming to show it after loading.

Trouble with old routes is interesting (but I can imagine why it might be doing it) - I'll work on fixing it but, as a quick workaround, you can make a slight edit to the route on the website and save it again, which will “upgrade” it into the format the app will read.

Sun 6 Aug 2023, 13:10

Hi Richard,

I was very sad to see that your Android App is not compatible with my old Andriod 7.1 phone. Do you see a chance to make it compatible down the road?

I am an Apple-Phone guy, but like to use old Androids (with big screens & big batteries) on my bike - just for routing / maps: They are cheap, so no biggie when they get stolen or break.( I use them even w/o Sim Card.) I think this is a great way to extend life of old phones - I am sure many others do / would do the same.

Therefor my question / plea to make the App compatible with Android 7.1 (and up). Currently I use your App on the PC for Routing and then import that route to Osmand on the 'Bike-Phone'. Doing it all on the Phone within your App would be so much better - esp when on a multi-day tour, where there is no PC.

Sun 6 Aug 2023, 17:11

I'll investigate – I’m not sure how much of what it does will be available on earlier versions of Android but it’s worth looking into.

Sun 6 Aug 2023, 18:12

Thank you so much, Richard.

That would be really great!!

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 13:14

When using 3-button navigation in Android, the elevation profile is partly obscured. Is there a way to move the profile up, so it is fully visible? A workaround is to use gesture navigation, if that works for you.

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 21:38

Hi Richard, thanks for all the app, liking it so far!

I've noticed slightly odd behaviour planning a route - even though the menu shows a particular routing option, it doesn't seem to take into account the setting at first (gravel/paved etc) even though it's shown ticked, until reselecting the option when it asks if it should reroute and then routes correctly.

Tue 8 Aug 2023, 16:51

I also have problems loading some of my routes in the Android navigation App. Looking at earlier posts I don't think what distinguishes these for me is time or distance. I think the issue I have is that if the route is private I see it listed in the app but I can't open it to see it on the map.

Tue 8 Aug 2023, 19:53

I'm using the app using the aural prompts. The phone is in a jersey or in my bag. The GPS picking up the location for navigation prompts seems to be a bit variable. From giving me notice in advance and then a beep at the turning point, to being quite a way ahead, which in a town means I could take the wrong turn. I am also running an exercise app, which produces an aural message each kilometre. So sometimes there is a bit of contention as to which sound message has priority. Does work, but takes a little getting used to. The App is Samsung Health (via smartwatch), though I guess a lot of users might be using Strava.

Tue 8 Aug 2023, 23:07

This is all really helpful – thank you! I’m currently hoping to put out another update towards the end of the month taking into account all the feedback so far.

Wed 9 Aug 2023, 07:56

Very impressed with the app.

I am also find that private routes will not open.

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 16:51

Just started.

My phone is Android 11 but seems to work.

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 16:56

Well there's a thing.

Navigated away to look at the map and lost the keyboard.

1 Long route names wrap round over the date.

2 The map display does not scale. The counters at the bottom go off the RHS of the display.

3 On a circular route there is no indication of direction. On the web the blue waypoints have numbers but not on the App.

Looking forward to testing it on the bike.

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 17:00

Just checked and if you load a route when you are not at the start point it doesn't offer to navigate you to the start (like a Garmin satnav) but just shows you directions from the start.

Perhaps it will once it notices that the bike is moving?

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 17:23
Some comments on the app.

If you use the app, and you also want to see the altitude profile, you also get a line with 3 menu buttons on the screen. During navigation, you won't use those. Can't those buttons be placed below the altitude profile?

Maps.

- It seems that only CT maps can be downloaded. Will other maps be added here?- I don't see any way to update the maps.- I have not been able to find out where the maps are placed. If I want to delete the maps, I need to know.In a fortnight' time, I will be cycling for five days. Then I will test extensively. No doubt there will be comments again.But so far, I am mostly fascinated by the brilliant collaboration between website and app.

Peter

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 17:29
Apologies for the somewhat sloppy post above. Made the message on a tablet.

Next time I will use a PC again.

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 18:03

Hi Richard,

where can I download the app?

I'm keen to try it but can't see it in the PlayStore yet.

Thanks,

Huw

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 21:02

Huw.

Supporters only for the first trial, I understand.

Patreon subscribers can get details from the Newsletter.

Fri 11 Aug 2023, 22:54

Thanks for all the comments – do keep them coming. I should say that any significant changes in functionality (as opposed to fixes/tweaks) aren’t going to happen for the first public release in late August/early September, but I do have a long list of future enhancements I’m always juggling and will happily add to it!

Ultimately I’d like to keep the iPhone and Android apps in sync. There’s a handful of things that the iPhone app does but the Android app doesn’t do yet, and implementing those is going to be an early priority.

It won’t be possible to download other maps I’m afraid – the non-c.t maps are provided by third-party providers and generally their terms and conditions prohibit bulk downloads (or charge a lot for it!).

Sat 12 Aug 2023, 12:34

Thanks Richard (and David).

I was waiting for the Android app before subscribing butit seems that's chicken+egg (or Catch-22) so I'll stop being so cheap and sign up now 😛

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 20:25

Firstly, big congratulation for getting this onto Android. That's a huge step that gets you into a larger user base, I would hope.

Secondly, I love the app setup. Themes etc are intuitive to find. The Outdoors theme gives a nice sort-of-OS feel, which I enjoy. Routing is a breeze, coming from Locus Maps which is an excellent app but isn't as focused on routing as this, so is a bit less fluid in use. And I like the speedometer, though it took me a while to work out what it was for (not helped by being on a train, admittedly).

Some suggestions, in case they aren't on your To Do list yet:

1. Enable a dark mode. Battery preservation is everything for mapping/cycling. As much black as possible please.

2. Include a legend. I like that the route colours show different types of surface, but what do they mean? Most map apps seem to have this issue, though Locus has just introduced legends thankfully.

3. Allow us to turn off map rotation altogether. It confuses things more often than it helps, in my experience. The 'turn off rotation while in centred view' setting doesn't seem to work for me.

4. Rather than just dimming the screen between turns, allow an option than gives crucial info on a black background. With most (all?) good phones the LEDs are fully turned off when black, so personally on Locus I run a dashboard with useful numbers and the next instruction, but everything else is black (see attached). It only uses about 10% of the screen LEDs so battery lasts more or less all day when on permanently, but I have all the info I could want. I also have a version that shows a bit of map, for tricky sections, which uses more like 30% battery. Some version of this idea could work for your app.

I haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet, but am looking forward to my first cycle adventure using the app. Great work!

Fri 18 Aug 2023, 10:04

Hello all, I love Cycle.Travel and use it all the time for secure travels ! I would love to test android app but I can't download it on my Android 11 phone. Playstore says my phone is not compatible

Sat 19 Aug 2023, 18:25

Further thoughts: The current version picks up that you've returned to the route and starts giving routing instructions, if you've taken a diversion. I think it's a little heavy on the battery. Even with a latest Samsung close to top line phone, it's noticeably low after 50km. But might just last up towards 100km. But not in miles. Looking forward to the version that tells you (rather than on screen) when you're off route.

Wed 23 Aug 2023, 14:41

Thanks for this, Richard. I've been meaning to report: I've yet to manage to log in -- none of the "log in with Google" buttons/menu options do anything. My account has been Google SSO from the start, so I don't have the option to use "direct login".

(I think I've been in no hurry to report it because I've been very satisfied with navigation in browser on mobile, so haven't been as eagerly awaiting an app as others seem to have been!)

Thu 24 Aug 2023, 22:54

Another oddity I've found - on my tablet (Samsung S8+) the routing keeps starting automatically even with the setting turned off.

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 07:30

Is anyone else having the issue of the app not letting you log in?

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 11:16

I gave the app  more serious use over the weekend and found it worked very well. I guess better battery consumption than osmand.  Two features I would suggest for your consideration in the future:

1. an in app means of reversing a route
  2. map zooming according to speed to assist with the twists and turns of city cycling

Many thanks for a great app. Maybe an end is in sight to the battles I have with osmand to make it behave 100% as I want it to. Battles I rarely seem to win. 

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 08:12

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]

(generated from [email protected])

local delivery failed

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ [email protected]

(generated from [email protected]) ------

An error was detected while processing a file of BSMTP input.

The error message was:

421 Lost incoming connection

The SMTP transaction started in line 0.

The error was detected in line 3.

0 previous messages were successfully processed.

The rest of the batch was abandoned.

421 Lost incoming connection

Transaction started in line 0

Error detected in line 3

Thu 31 Aug 2023, 14:35

Bonjour

Mon telephone huawei honor 7 android  version8. 1.0 n est pas compatible avec cycle. Travel android😭est ce normal ? Et bravo pour votre travail👏

Sun 3 Sep 2023, 10:17

I’ve just pushed an update to the Android app which will (hopefully) automatically download onto your phone if you have the earlier version. If not, try going to the Play Store link again (from your c.t profile page) and checking for an update.

There’s a whole bunch of fixes and it should now work with any Android phone running Android 8.1 or later.

I’m not entirely sure what the login issue has been, but I’ve fixed one possibility, tweaked a couple of things, and put in some extra error messages. If you’ve been having login issues, could you try again and let me know what it does now – if it works or if it shows an error message, and if so, what that is?

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 10:54

Hi Richard; as earlier asked - is there a Chance for an Android 7.1 compatible Version down the road, or is 8.1 the lowest you can / will support?

Thanks again for this great APP!

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 16:45

I’ve tried to lower the requirement as far as it can go, but unfortunately going below 8.1 comes up with a whole bunch of errors from unsupported functions – sorry! I’ve not looked into it in great detail, but it does look like going earlier than 8.1 would need quite a lot of extra adaptation.

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 18:17

Before the update I got no error message when trying (and failing) to sign in with Google - it just closed the log in screen and did nothing else.

After the update I get an error message "Couldn't find your Google account - please check you're signed in..." (yes I am signed in). 

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 18:51

I have just looked on Google playstore for your app...it says 'coming soon'.  Is it not available yet?

BTW...I think cycletravel is by far the best for plotting routes...I love it!

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 18:54

Joe - that’s hugely helpful; thanks. I’ll dig into that section of the code and see if I can work out what’s leading to that. 

Muriel - hopefully in a week or thereabouts!

Tue 5 Sep 2023, 10:31

Thanks that's great news :)

Tue 5 Sep 2023, 19:37

I’ve just pushed another testing update which has a bunch of extra stuff around login. I hope this will fix any issues people have encountered – let me know if it does or not!

(Technical aside: sometimes the ‘new’ Google One-Tap login system appears to fail without explanation. I’ve now added a fallback so it’ll try the legacy login system if this happens.)

Sat 9 Sep 2023, 12:08

Hello Richard

I'm having problems opening the cycle.travel app this morning. This is the version upgraded at the beginning of September - which had been working.

When I first opened the app this morning I got as far as the logo screen, which seemed to be frozen. Closing the app and reopening, again I got the frozen logo screen. Then moving off the app (but leaving it open) and returning to it I did get the map / navigation screen but again it was frozen with none of the menu items selectable. Leaving the app open, but frozen, it then went to a completely black screen and just stayed in that mode.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and logged in. The reinstallation seemed to take ages compared to the first iteration, but did eventually finish. The new download is however behaving in the same way - frozen logo screen or frozen logo screen eventually moving to a frozen navigation screen, which then a few seconds later goes black. 

So for me, I can't use the app atm. Btw I'm using Android 13. Is this caused by just a temporary server glitch? I hope so!

Thanks.  Giles

Sat 9 Sep 2023, 13:09

Just to update.... 60 minutes later and the app is back working once again. I've not intervened in any way, it's just back as before.

That does leave me slightly worried that if I was using the app on a ride I wouldn't want it to suddenly go awol!