Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Open Street Maps???

19 May 2019
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Will Cycle Travel work with the above?

Comments

Mon 20 May 2019, 13:39

cycle.travel uses openstreetmap data. What do you mean "work with"?

Mon 20 May 2019, 16:32

We use the maps from Garmin of Northern Europe. But looking at downloading OSM maps to a micro SD card and using these. I understand that they have more detail.

Tue 21 May 2019, 07:40

I use a Garmin 810 and have only ever used osm and I plan the vast majority of my routes using cycle.travel on a desktop PC, download a .gpx file than manually add it to the newfiles folder on the microSD card on my Garmin. I used the method described here https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

As far as I can tell, the occasional hissyfits my garmin throws are no more or less than on devices running the Garmin proprietary maps.

I can't comment about the relative levels of detail, however I find the OSM perfectly fit for purpose. I have planned and ridden a few thousands of miles with cycle.travel when running OSM.

Tue 21 May 2019, 17:48

Thanks. I tried by picking Estonia. The file/map arrived in my email. I downloaded it but could not uncompress it. We think we may not have enough space on our computer. I tried doing it on my Android tablet but no go.

Tue 21 May 2019, 21:39

Indeed – the maps that come built into many Garmins are now made from OpenStreetMap data (just, as mjray says, as cycle.travel is), in Europe at least.

A cycle.travel-planned route will work fine if you have an OSM map loaded into your Garmin.

Wed 22 May 2019, 06:20

Thanks Richard!