Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Routes v Tracks

18 Jul 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I am familiar with planning and plotting routes on Cycle.Travel. Is it possible to superimpose on the same map the ‘track’ actually followed and recorded, should that end up being different from the planned route?

Thanks 

John Buswell

Comments

Tue 18 Jul 2023, 18:31

Hi John, in theory it is possible but on a "macro" level by placing "routes" in the same folder as the imported "tracks" with the big proviso that the imported track may be adjusted on import which kind of negates the advantage.

If you look a few posts down (as of now) to "Route Planning Features" you'll see a chat about the process and also a map of imported tracks.

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 12:29

Thank you ‘Hobbes on Tour’, very useful and interesting and I of course got sidetracked ( no pun intended) on your chat about Spain and CT routing generally. But, and excuse me for being dim here, re your paragraph below how do you save different alternatives of the same route in in one folder and then display them on one map? I can’t see how to do it.

Thanks in anticipation 

John

Similarly, if you save different alternatives of the same route in the one folder you can display all the routes on the one map - but without any information. That at least, gives an indication of where the different options will bring you. (For a long journey it's great - each day shown on the map, one after the other!)

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 13:49

cycle.travel itself doesn’t record routes nor provide any way for you to store ridden routes (as opposed to planned ones).

However… if you’ve used another app to record your route as a GPX track, you can show it on the map. In the map switcher (top right), click ‘Trace GPX’, then open your GPX file. It’ll show on the map as a light blue line.

(Note that if you switch to/from the Ordnance Survey layer it currently disappears!)

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 13:58

You're welcome, John.

Have  look at the picture below:

When I save a file I have the option of saving it to a Folder. (You can create folders on the "my Journeys" screen.) (I'm assuming you know how to save the routes, "save as" (for alternatives)  and import gpx files?)

If I click on the "Map" link (above or below the dustbin symbol depending on your perspective), that will bring up a map like on the other thread that shows all the routes from that one folder on the one screen. (If you're doing this on a phone, hold the phone landscape, although it really works best on a bigger screen). 

You can hover over the different, individual routes to see what is what and click on one to open up that particular route. See below

It is useful, in a limited way, in the case you have described to have a visual representation of planned versus actual (keeping in mind CT may vary the imported route). 

I love it for representing a full tour - either planned or actual in a way not many planners can do. And of course, as a subscriber, you can change the background map that the routes are displayed on and anyone can zoom in out to show a province, country or even a continent! (The "World view" works too!)

I have no idea if or how this works on the app. 

A few other comments:

This is a particularly useful feature on a longer tour if using the "Overnight" feature. Create a folder for the tour, plan as one journey utilising the overnight stops. Save as individual routes (done automatically if desired), then click on "map" to see the whole tour and still be able to click on each, individual day. Fabulous!

The actual route needs to be in gpx format to import. depending on what you use to record your ride (a FIT file is common) you may need to use an alternative service. Services like Strava, Komoot, RWGPS allow this (on varying subscription levels). Personally, I use Komoot - the only use I have for Komoot. 

Swapping a route from one service to another can lead to changes in the route. In my case, the file goes from a FIT file in my Wahoo App to Komoot to be downloaded as a gpx file then imported into CT. Lots of scope for variations in that process and I know that the route CT gives me for my day is often not an exact copy. Mind you, I tend to wander, do loops and thoroughly explore towns and villages. If CT could accurately record all that it would be like myself - a little mad :-)

In the case of small, minor changes between actual and planned routes it's going to be very difficult to see, depending on scale.

In relation to altitude, climbing etc. both the planning and recording of climbing is something of a dark art and can be variable. Two people on the same route on the exact same day with different units will often end up with different climbing numbers. If CT suggests 1000m of climbing and your actual, different route shows 900m of climbing that doesn't necessarily mean that you "won". The estimate (although an excellent indicator) is just an estimate and the recorded is also ...... flexible. Some service, like Strava, will adjust the actual recorded climbing based on their own data and calculations. I believe some Garmins do that too via Garmin Connect. Climbing data (for planning) can be more variable depending on where you are too and the length of the route. 

In short, too much statistical analysis is a waste of time. But looking at nice maps? That's fun! :-)

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 17:24

Great stuff. Thanks Richard and ‘Hobbes’, again. Good of you to take the time to respond in such detail. I should just say how much I love C.T. Have used it exclusively  for the past 6/7 years ahead of every other similar site and never miss an opportunity to recommend it. Keep up the good work!

John

Thu 20 Jul 2023, 09:35

Hi, Richard,

I cross posted as you replied yesterday.

In the map switcher (top right), click ‘Trace GPX’, then open your GPX file. It’ll show on the map as a light blue line.

I didn't know about this "add a trace" option - it's really good and potentially very useful.