Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

New to route planners and the world of non paper maps

13 Jun 2023
by Clay
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I am considering getting a Garmin Explorer 2, am I able to load cycle.travel routes on to this device? If not what would work? Apologies if this is a ridiculously simple thing to ask but as I say the whole experience is a new one.  

Comments

Tue 13 Jun 2023, 20:48

Hi Clay. Garmin and cycle. travel work together really well. Once you have created a route in cycle.travel you have a number of options that will get it into your Garmin. You can download the route file from cycle.travel to a computer and then copy it into the Garmin, but the easiest way, in my opinion, is to send the route to Garmin Connect, this involves one click, and then from Garmin Connect to the Explorer, one more click. If you download the Garmin app, all of this happens wirelessly. And don't worry about asking questions. You'll find people on this forum try to be helpful. I would also say that there are lots of options for Garmin units and different features, such as touchscreens. They also come in a variety of sizes. And, of course, there are other options besides Garmin. If you haven't already, it's worth doing some research before you buy.

Tue 13 Jun 2023, 23:21

Hi Clay, Martin is dead right - there's great value to be had in doing some research.

Just about any decent gps unit will allow you take a CT route and follow it on the unit - but there's a whole lot more to a unit than just that. 

I'd always advise anyone thinking of going down the gps route to have a good think about what they want a unit to do - and how.

Some can plot a route themselves (with varying levels of quality). Ditto with navigation back on course if you go off course. Some have highly detailed maps, others very minimalist. Some are colour, others not. Touch screens are another common distinction. 

Updating maps or getting new maps if going abroad vary across models and brands. Battery life may be a consideration. Or compatibility with charging from a hub dynamo. Simple reliability and customer service are a big factor for me when considering a big purchase.

I'd also encourage someone thinking of a unit to try one in the wild, if possible.

A great way to dip toes into navigating by gps is to try the Osmand App. You can take a route from CT, load it up and follow it. Free to try for a fairly sizeable area. It's a great backup to have in any case.

And, don't forget, depending on your needs there is already a CT app live for the i-Phone and coming soon for Android!