Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Suggestions for Map-Page improvements

16 May 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi Richard,

I have two suggestions to improve the tour-planning experience on the map page (web):

1. make the color of the calculated route dependent on the selected map background. I prefer CycleOSM for trip planning, which uses blue to show cycle ways. This makes it sometimes hard to distinguish the route from the map background (same for OpenCycleMap). So showing the route in another color, e.g. in red, would improve the visibility when using these backgrounds.

2. In my opinion, showing the turn-by-turn instructions during the planning stage of a tour makes no sense. On the other hand, locating via-points I have placed on the map is sometimes difficult. So maybe the turn-by-turn list can be replaced by a list of the via-points with the option to delete or reorder them?

Best regards, Hermann

Comments

Thu 18 May 2023, 12:32

Hi Hermann,

Two good ideas!

On 1 – the site did actually already do that for the UK Ordnance Survey maps so I’ve extended that to include CyclOSM too. It’s still blue, but a darker, less translucent blue which stands out well from the CyclOSM basemap.

For 2, I’m in the very early stages of reworking the left-hand panel on the main map page. The turn-by-turn instructions will become a popup panel rather than an always-there feature, so they won’t take up screen space if you don’t want them. I hadn’t thought of including via points there but it’s an interesting idea and I’ll give it some thought.

Thu 18 May 2023, 15:24

"I hadn’t thought of including via points there but it’s an interesting idea and I’ll give it some thought."

In that vein, I noted earlier that if using the "overnight stop" feature they would benefit from being highlighted amongst the TBT directions. Not wishing to add to your work but maybe something to be considered at the same time.