Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Downloading a route from C.T to my Garmin GPS

6 Apr 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I would be really grateful for some help. For some reason I am unable to load a route planned on my lap top using C.T. This is a new problem because until now, I have managed to load routes. And even now, I surprise myself when it works. But is not the regular case.

As you can imagine, I have absolutley no understanding about why files can transfer and do all sorts of things. But I can follow directions. Could someone please provide step-by-step instructions starting at the point where a route has been devised and I want to dpownload onto my device. Please do not leave out a single step. I usually use a USB cable to physically connect my GPS to my laptop and I always plan routes on my laptop.

I must say, I love what C.T does. It suits my 'quiet country lanes' style of touring and I am most grateful to have it. If only I could transfer mywonderful C.T  routes to the GPS!

Thanks very much for any help provided.

Bob

Comments

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 13:30

This is the best tutorial I’ve found: https://www.scarletfire.co.uk/transfer-gpx-file-to-garmin/

It’s a few years since I’ve tried to do it so hopefully this will work.

If you’re in the mood for upgrading kit, I’d really recommend getting a Garmin with Bluetooth. It makes the whole process much simpler. You can open your route in cycle.travel (the website) on your phone; click ‘Send to Garmin Connect’; open the Garmin Connect app; and it magically beams it across to your GPS. No leads or dragging files required. I bought a second-hand Garmin with Bluetooth a few years back and it’s made life much easier!

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 08:57

Richard

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go. Cheers

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 15:32

Richard

Yoir advice was spot on. It works like a charm.

PS Will you be at the York Festival?

Cheers

Mon 15 May 2023, 17:35

Richard, if you see this, please advise. For some reason when I tried your advice above, I think I managed to download my route. But that was luck as I have never been able to do it since then. I use Androix, is that the reason? If so, when will the Android app be available. I do realise you have lots on your plate these days but a rough idea would be helpful, Many thanks for your kind patience.  Bob

Mon 15 May 2023, 19:53

Bob, that android app you're waiting for will never come if Richard keeps getting pulled off course :-))

First of all, it's not luck that it worked before. Technology doesn't work that way. However, I've learned the hard way that if I keep telling myself that I can't do something ..... I'll prove myself right! There are many, many thousands of people using Android all over the world downloading files and putting them on their garmins.  If they can do it, so can you.

Unfortunately, you're giving us very little to work with. We don't know what garmin unit, we don't know if you use Garmin Connect,  only that you usually hook your unit up to a computer. We don't know what steps you are taking or how far along the process you get. 

I don't use Garmin myself so I can't really help.

There are many, many online resources if you go to google and search for the appropriate terms (probably using your unit name or number and "import route") will be enough. A good YouTube video will probably show you all you need to know. Step by step.  And if you save it you can have it for the next time there is a problem. I've done that for a whole lot of bike related stuff. 

Here's one that is done connecting the unit to a computer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZeFjMsaxyU

Assuming you're in the UK you could look at one of the online fora - CycleChat or CyclingUK. There will be a bigger pool of users, more readers and more likely to find someone in similar shoes. You'll need to describe the problem though, as best you can. 

These things can seem very complicated but they're really just a series of steps. Get the steps in the right order and it will all work out. 

Good luck!

Mon 15 May 2023, 23:47

The video Hobbes found looks really helpful!

Being on Android shouldn’t be a problem but, unfortunately, transferring files to a Garmin with a cable is complicated whatever your setup. I do really strongly recommend getting a Garmin with Bluetooth if you can – that makes it much easier. With Bluetooth, you just need to ‘pair’ the unit once; from then on, you plan the route on c.t, click ‘Open in Garmin Connect’, and it all transfers magically from there.

Tue 16 May 2023, 11:56

Meaning absolutely no disrespect to Richard I would like to point out that alternatives to Garmin do exist. 

And some of us prefer them! :-)