Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

distance of overnight stops

23 Mar 2023
by Whoof ☕
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi 

I'm making a route that's approximately 750 km in total. I've inserted overnight stops but can see how long each day is other than looking at the map and trying to estimate how many kms the overnight is beyond the previous yellow km distance marker.

Is there a way showing the distance of each day? 

Thanks 

Comments

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 16:17

This one was fun to work out. Apologies to Richard for jumping in (again!)

Depending on the format you are using phone/app/browser you should be able to select "Turn by Turn" and that will show the precise distance at each overnight stop, although that distance is cumulative. On a computer browser simply click on "Turn by Turn" on the bottom left of the screen. On an android phone hit the "directions" tab at the bottom of the screen to select "Turn by Turn".

If you want to get the exact distance, then we can save the journey using the "Split into multiple days" option. (Probably better if we have a folder already made to store it). Then we can see at a glance the exact distance (and climbing) for each day. 

It's also possible to save the whole tour as one journey as well if that is what we prefer. 

Depending on your preferences (gps or PDF) you can use the split or the whole journey. PDFs, I think, are only available for shorter distances so a 750km journey has to be split for PDF to work anyway.

For what it's worth, it's a very rare day where my planned route (and therefore) distance is realised what with popping over here to explore that town, taking that road over there to admire a tree or just following a diversion. Ball park distances, as supplied by the yellow bubbles is more than enough for me. 

Hope this helps!

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 09:42

Hi 

The save as multiple days did it. 

Many thanks

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 11:12

No problem. I'm curious though. Can I ask why you want to be able to see the precise distance in advance?

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 11:27

Always more than happy for you to jump in, Hobbes!

It’s a good point though – it should be easier. So I’ve just added it to the elevation display, which already shows the climb per day. If you have a multi-day route planned and open the elevation display, you’ll now see each day’s mileage as well.

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 13:13

I just had a peek! That's fabulous! 

When people prattle on about Komoot or Strava or RWGPS I wonder how often a question to those large organisations can lead to such a swift and positive response. What an absolutely fantastic service! 

Now that I've delivered the flattery, one thing I did notice is that on skimming down through the TBT directions that "Overnight Stop" would benefit from being highlighted in some way, especially where they have ben added manually as opposed to at a set distance.

Sorry! :-)