Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

App feedback

8 Nov 2022
by Heiner
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi Richard; I like the App a lot!! It is not feature overloaded - but all I need is there. Thank you!

2 things I noticed though:

1) Sometimes the App freezes completely right at the start (tapping does not do anything; but the App still seems to do 'something' in the background, because I can see the map moving when the GPS provides more accurate data.) I can only kill it then, but starting it again also leads only to freezing immediately. Also un- and reinstall does not help. But if I wait some time (days), it suddenly works again. (Is there some server it communicates with and that is maybe sometimes down? Because this problem did happen quite often about 2-4 weeks ago, but recently, it does not freeze anymore. And I think it was always the same App Version 0.1(7) Also, it happened on 2 phones (SE 2016)

2) In the App, on the right upper area there are 2 icons: The Map icon (which works as it give me 3 options: Centered / Look ahead / Perspective). But the other icon (like a GPS Arrow) does onlyvanish whenI click it. It comes back when I move the map. But clicking it does again do nothing exept that the icon disappears

PS I use this forumfor feedback, as I can not use the feedback option within the App: On my tiny SE (2016) phones I can enter text in the feedback area, but I can not see a 'send' or 'ok' or any button...

Comments

Tue 8 Nov 2022, 18:31

Thanks! I’ve got a fix for the SE feedback issue which’ll be in the next version. (I have a little SE for testing though I don’t use it day-to-day.)

The GPS arrow returns the map to your current location when you’ve panned away.

Not sure what’s happening with the freezes but thanks for the report… I’ll keep an eye on it. It does do a couple of server-like things on startup but they shouldn’t cause a freeze if they’re inaccessible.

Thu 24 Nov 2022, 06:05

I found that moving a bit down the road tends to help. I wondered if it was related to the quality of data coverage or something. It can also drop when I move from Wi-Fi to 4g when getting started in a days tour. 

Sat 10 Dec 2022, 23:35

Hi, I’ll add my feedback to this existing thread.

• The app is difficult to find in the US App Store. I searched for “cycle.travel” without success, then I found the app by searching for the developer name. Perhaps put a prominent link on the website somewhere, or show a banner on iOS devices when the website is loaded?
  • Thank you for making an iPad version as well - this will be useful for planning purposes 👍 
  • I live in an area without map coverage. If I enter a destination without first entering a starting point, the app crashes every time (both iPhone and iPad). The easy workaround is to enter the starting point first, then enter the destination. But I thought you’d want to know about crashes.

Thanks for creating the app! 

Thu 15 Dec 2022, 12:22

Looking forward to trying the new (iphone) app once the weather warms up a bit! Looking for a bit more information - is there a Help page I am missing somewhere?

Does the app use downloaded maps by default? And how do I delete them when they"re no longer needed?

Are the OS maps available off-line?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Fri 16 Dec 2022, 19:26

There’s a Help page on the Settings menu which will hopefully cover the basics! It links through to https://cycle.travel/app/help which is a bit more detailed.

If you’ve downloaded maps for use offline, yes, it’ll use them by default.

You can delete them by going into the ‘Offline maps’ screen again, and tapping the areas so they’re no longer highlighted. Then click ‘Download’ and it’ll erase them.

Unfortunately the OS maps are online only. In the future I’d like to look at integrating the OS maps into the main map display but that’s a Hard Problem!