Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

ridewithgps to cycle.travel!

5 Nov 2022
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi all,
A pal has sent me a ridewithgps route (his choice of mapping: heathen!).
I don't know much about it, so just exported the .gpx "as is" & imported to cycle.travel.....
....but the routes are markedly different:

I suspect it is something around him perhaps having routes or waypoints, and maybe there is nothing I can do....

....but can anyone suggest a way I can get the route he planned to appear in cycle.travel?

Cheers!

Comments

Sat 5 Nov 2022, 21:05

I know very little about what happens under the hood but I never trust a route that has gone through more planners than necessary - one.

If I really want his route exactly recreated in CT then I'd do it by hand. But that's me. 

RWGPS will offer up different routes depending on the map chosen. That's before exporting. 

The real question is why you want the route in cycle Travel? If using s GPS you should be able to load the RWGPS route, no? 

If depending on cue sheets RWGPS do those too - Depending on your subscription, of course. 

Sat 5 Nov 2022, 21:48

Hi there!
It's a good point: I like/prefer cycle.travel....but yes, I should just take the RideWithGps output & get to my Wahoo.

It is only a mild curiosity - I'll be cycling with this pal, & he can lead the ride anyway.   
We are planning a little adventure next June, so I suspect we will each map things and have on our respective Garmin/Wahoo.....could work as backup, but of course could come up with differing options!!

Sun 6 Nov 2022, 11:08

That could be a whole lot of fun if you end up going different ways and ending up in different places! :-) Different planners, different units - could be a real adventure! 

I would imagine most of the issue in transferring your friend's route is down to manually added way/viapoints as you suspect. 

One thing to remember is that CT seems to have a better grasp of where bikes are allowed in the UK than some of the international planners (Not that CT isn't international!)

Other CT quirks are the tendency to skirt towns and the propensity to pull us off a road to ride a short distance on a smaller road only to rejoin the first road again. 

However, for plotting a bike friendly route away from home I'd trust CT over any of the main planners out there. 

Sun 6 Nov 2022, 13:42

When you upload a track to cycle.travel, it tries to ‘retrofit’ the via points that would make it go that way. This is an imperfect process and it gets easily confused in cases of looping routes (like this example) or routes that go on roads/paths that cycle.travel wouldn’t usually choose (e.g. busy roads or muddy paths).

Probably the easiest thing for a not-too-long route like this is just to redraw it yourself. If you click the layer button at the top right of the map, you’ll see a ‘Trace a GPX file’ button. Click that and load the file. It then appears in a light blue to make it easy to trace using the standard cycle.travel routing tools.