Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Turn Notifications Missing in TCX (best for Garmin)

8 Feb 2020
by epatrickt
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I've been using cycle.travel for some time and think it is really excellent especially given that it is free. I have always chosen the tcx format for downloading routes to my Garmin Edge 1000, choosing the one that says it is best for Garmins. It works perfectly well except the turn notification doesn't seem to be working. I usually change the default 30m to 100m, save, export, import etc and when I ride the route I don't get any notification - actually maybe 5m after the turn. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Comments

Wed 12 Feb 2020, 03:02

I'm looking forward to hearing about this also!!

Mon 17 Feb 2020, 20:00

The files look like they should to me – but happy to take a look. Could you email me an example of a file that doesn’t work? [email protected]

Sun 23 Feb 2020, 10:14

Thanks, sending one now.

Sat 29 Feb 2020, 14:19

I’ve been looking into this and haven’t yet been able to find that c.t is doing anything wrong. It looks (so far) like a genuine Garmin issue – i.e. c.t is saving the turn instruction in the right place, but the Garmin isn’t picking up on it until too late. I’ll keep looking into it.

As ever, if anyone has files that do work properly, that would be super-helpful – then I can compare them with the ones that aren’t working and see what the issue is!

Sat 29 Feb 2020, 20:21

I’ve made a small change which shouldn’t necessarily make a difference but who knows with Garmins. It was previously possible for the turn instruction to be (say) a metre or two away from the course line – think of the line as following the centre of the road, and the instruction being in one lane or another. I’ve now tweaked this so the instruction icon will always be positioned exactly on the line. Garmins should in theory be smart enough for this not to be necessary, but I’ll be interested to know if it works.

Fri 27 Mar 2020, 18:19

Don't know if it could be related, but there was a similar issue that was reported in a thread I started a couple of years ago - see https://cycle.travel/post/1549

If you  look at the last post in this thread, I found that the issue here was with RideWithGPS not handling TCX files from c.t. It only handled them correctly if the CoursePoint name existed exactly the same as in the Notes line. As I reported then, TCX files from c.t work fine with my turn-by-turn app, Bike Tracker, and Plotaroute, and still do.

Don't know if Garmin is doing the same as RideWithGPS ?