Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

flatten

20 Aug 2019
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

just thinking that a useful feature when plotting a route between 2 points would be to chose a flatter profile with fewer climbs, but might be a longer distance. Is this possible?

Comments

Wed 21 Aug 2019, 14:42

When you've entered your start and end points you could try selecting the round trip option.

Cycle Travel will often provide you with a different way home. If the "return" route is more to your taste, simply edit out the original outward journey and reverse the direction of your "return" leg.

Alternatively, manually insert waypoints and move them around until you get the profile you are happy with. 

Thu 12 Sep 2019, 09:43

Hi, yes I realise you could do it more manually, I was just thinking it would be a cool feature. If the algorithm can calculate a different route back when clicking the round trip button, then it could theoretically calculate whether that trip was flatter and therefore you now have a basis for a flatten button. Obviously it would have to have limits as to how far out of your way it sends you just to get a flat route, this could probably be an adjustable variable.

Thu 12 Sep 2019, 15:07

It can’t really do different routing styles I’m afraid – to cut a long story short, the routes are pre-calculated; that’s why it’s so fast. For every new type of route added, then we’d have to pre-calculate a new set of routes, which would mean buying a new server to store them on. That would get very expensive very fast!

Sat 14 Sep 2019, 11:37

ah ok, hadnt realised that richard. thanks for the reply!