Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Preventing app choosing route between two points

18 Feb 2019
by Jeff3
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I am trying to put minor road route in but when a shorter route between two points occurs the app routes it away from the route I want. I have tried to pull line back to my desired  route but it is not effective 

Comments

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 21:32

Can you say where this is?

Tue 19 Feb 2019, 11:15

See Rowlands Castle to Stroud. I wanted to continue along the road from Cricketers inn junction but it put in this loop and I cannot drag it back 

Tue 19 Feb 2019, 15:33

I think it is because there is a stile from where a footpath joins Ridge Common Lane and is  'sticking out' on to the road causing the problem, will need correcting on OSM.

Tue 19 Feb 2019, 17:50

Thanks good to know not a common problem 

Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:24

I have corrected the stile on OSM so I assuming that is what the routing problem was. Will take a while (?) for this site to update to the OSM changes I have made before someone can test it.

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 10:03

Hi Richard, could you take a look at this as it still doesn't route as stated, not sure if your system updates regularly?. Other routing sites do not have this problem on this road.

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 14:49

https://cycle.travel/map/info says the map updates about  monthly and it looks like it's due any day now.

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 14:51

And it's not really Richard's fault that certain other routing sites will merrily route cyclists over stiles IMO. We just need to fix the map.

While waiting for the map to update, you should be able to drag via markers to either side of the obstruction, click the earliest one and pick "Direct to ..." in the pop-up to override the map and put a straight line between the markers.

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 15:40

That's a fair comment. I did state that I corrected OSM some time ago but wasn't sure if that was the problem and as mjray stated other sites/apps may ignore it, I was only trying to help not actually plot the route. Cheers.

Fri 15 Mar 2019, 12:56

Yeah, thanks to Steve for fixing the map. I'm pretty sure some other sites do ignore them, as I've definitely been routed over stiles before which seemed to be on the map when I looked!

Mon 8 Apr 2019, 11:13

Yippe! fixed.