Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Mallorca or Rhone Cycle Route?

18 Oct 2018
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Which would you suggest -  cycling the Rhone Cycle Route from start to finish in June or 10days on Mallorca in  May and attempt Sa Calobre etc?

Havent experienced either, yet; my longest solo trip is the Avenue Verte which I enjoyed so want to try more overseas cycling.

Comments

Wed 14 Nov 2018, 14:01

Hi,

I can't answer, really, because I don't know Mallorca.

Are you considering the Viarhona cycle route as an exclusive (to benefit from the signposting and infrastructure) or are you allowing for some freedom away from the route?

Reason being that, being French and knowing the region, I am of the opinion that it's a bit of a pity to not allow oneself  to discover more of the surroundings, beyond the official route. So much great stuff that one leaves off.

I understand that a lot of people feel much more comfortable riding an established bike route that they prefer to keep it simple and just follow. There's lots to see anyway, but some parts around Lyon are not the best, IMO. I'd rather spend a bit more time in the Provence area with fantastic small villages if I was travelling there... (the city of Lyon itself is nice though).

Not sure that's of any help...

Thu 15 Nov 2018, 10:08

Hi,

I would agree with the last comment. I rode across Provence from Nice in July and joined the viarhona heading north to Lyon, but I had the Mistral wind against me 80km/hour at times but I 'verged right' off the viarhona before reaching Lyon as I had heard the route into Lyon from the south is not good for cyclists and so approached Lyon from the north east (again viarhona), much better.