Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Another Glitch?

25 Aug 2018
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Another "challenge" I am having is when I look at a route then check the profile the route will change. The start an destination are the same but the routing is quite different. Using Chrome.

Comments

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 11:44

I have just tried for example http://cycle.travel/map/journey/67442 and indeed if you click on profile the route does change, look at the right hand end of the route it jumps up a little ? tried on Chrome and IE11 same result.

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 11:51

Actually it seems to be re-routing that particular route along more cycle friendly paths, not sure if that is by design or not? I cannot get any of my created routes to show this behaviour.

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 14:21

Yep – it's possible that this can happen when the underlying map data is changed. Asking for the elevation profile actually causes cycle.travel to calculate the route again, so if the map data has changed since you first plotted a saved route (e.g. if a new cycleway has opened to provide a more attractive alternative), then it might now route a different way. If you want to stick with the original, you can add a via point or two to ‘anchor’ it more firmly to that.