Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

TCX Route Problem?

22 Aug 2018
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Yesterday we attempted to download our route,in GPX format, to our Garmin 800. Nothing transferred.  But a number of weeks ago we were able to do it.

Suggestions!!

Thanks

Comments

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 13:47

Hmm - that seems odd. Could you give me a link to the route you’re trying? Do you know what browser/version you’re using?

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 16:26

Here is one of the routes that would not download

http://cycle.travel/map/journey/67442

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 19:09

Forgot to say we are using Chrome.

Fri 24 Aug 2018, 08:51

Ok - thanks. What exactly is going wrong - can you download the file and the Garmin just doesn’t recognise it, or...?

Fri 24 Aug 2018, 09:12

Not trying to interfere, but I can download the route fine in TCX format (using Chrome) but when I try to load it in to GPSVisualizer it says there are errors, checking with an online XML validator it comes up with some badly formed tags and some maybe spurious (?) elements in the notes tags i.e. <->, correct the errors and route loads fine into GPSVisualizer at least.

Fri 24 Aug 2018, 12:22

That sounds promising. I’m away from home at the moment but should be able to fix it later this weekend. 

Fri 24 Aug 2018, 17:08

The situation is this. I was able before to download the TCX file to my Garmin 800 and it worked. Now it does not load. The same procedure was followed. As I am not tech savvy that is the only way I can describe it.

As we are currently touring we may have a rest day tomorrow and we will try using a different browser

Sat 25 Aug 2018, 17:06

Back home and I can see what the problem is. I'll try and fix it tonight.

Sat 25 Aug 2018, 17:26

I've just uploaded a fix - is that any better now?

(Steve - thanks for the heads-up!)

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 11:29

Hi Richard, yes works fine now in GPSVisualizer at least, glad to be of assistance - keep up the good work.

Mon 27 Aug 2018, 17:22

Will give it a try this evening as we have a good connection.

Tue 28 Aug 2018, 17:14

Nope! It is still not working for us. We are using a Garmin 800 and we can download TCX files from Ride With GPS with no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 11:31

Hi Kathy - I've just tried the following:

• Open your Rouen2Reims route
  • Download as TCX course
  • Connect my Garmin to the computer
  • Copy Rouen2Reims.tcx into the “NewFiles” folder
  • Restart Garmin
  • Choose ‘Where to?’, then ‘Saved’, then ‘Courses’
  • Rouen2Reims shows up in the course list and I can navigate on it

and that works fine (apart from the fact I’m not actually in northern France right now… sadly!). Does that not work for you?

Fri 31 Aug 2018, 19:33

Will try again!

Tue 4 Sep 2018, 20:20

It worked! 

One question, the notification of an upcoming turn does not seem to function for us. Any suggestions?? Also is there a way to make a donation to your site?