Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Android - Not picking up location or orientation.

Saturday 10 February
by JackP
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi,

First off, thanks for the great service, having the maps offline is extremely useful.

My issues is that the blue arrow will not rotate to where I'm facing, and it also does not move when I move (Rendering it useless for navigation)

Pressing the button in the top right will center the dot on me if I moved, but it still won't detect orientation, nor follow when I set off again.

Strava and Komoot both work fine (And CT has precise location permissions)

I have probably just hit a button or changed a setting, but would love to know how to fix this.

My phone is a Samsung S20 FE and I was attempting to follow a route saved on the website and loaded in the app (Loading the route worked fine)

Cheers,

Jack

Comments

Sun 11 Feb, 10:46

Jack, I am very far from an expert in this and I'm one of those who has to hit a few buttons randomly every time to get the display how I like.

First things first - are you using any other apps that use gps at the same time? I recall one day when using CT simultaneously with Google Fit that the CT location and direction were way off. But only one day, it seems. My suggestion is to check to see if any other apps are on, switch them off and try again.

Secondly, there are three options under the "black&white flag" (my description :-) ) on the top right of the screen:

Centred, Look Ahead and Perspective. I'd suggest trying each of these in turn.

It's not clear if this only happens at the start of a ride or during the whole ride? There's also the suggestion that this is a "new" development? It worked fine before? What has changed?

Also, are you attempting this offline? (Download the route, fire it up, then switch off data/Wifi?) I'm not sure that CT (on Android) is functional offline, yet.

There are also the App settings themselves (available under "Settings" / "App Settings" in the app). Start Automatically and Disable Rotation in Centred View would be two possibles to explore. 

TLDR: Check you're online and check that you have started navigation. 

Sun 11 Feb, 11:56

Hi Hobbes,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

No, I make sure to completely close out of other GPS apps when using CT, including force stopping other routing apps.

I love the flag description :) Yes I have tried all of them, and they all change the view of the map, but often times the blue arrows then just spins randomely before settling on a direction (Often times the wrong way)

I have only tested this out on a ride once, and once I was about 2 miles in I realised I had no navigation when I hit the first junction. So I would imagine it's the whole ride. This has also never worked for me, this was the first time downloading and trying CT.

Ah, that's sad to know that CT might not be functional offline on Android, indeed out on the ride I was offline (With both the map and route downloaded, and with the route started while I still had wifi, before switching it off as I headed out)

Sitting at home now, with internet, I still cannot get orientation/tracking to work, so I don't think it's an offline issue.

I've tried "Start Automatically" turned on and off, and the only difference I saw was with it on, I got a pause icon in the bottom left, and with it off, I just had a red octagon.

I was using "Look Ahead" for testing, but I tried with the "Disable Rotation in Centred View" on and off and didn't see any difference sadly.

Cheers for taking the time!

Sun 11 Feb, 14:15

Jack, just looking into this a little deeper and I went to check my downloaded maps (Settings, Offline Map) and I see that the map segments I have downloaded have disappeared (should be green squares on the "big" map). Furthermore, downloading doesn't seem to work. 

Perhaps you can check yours. 

Sun 11 Feb, 14:38

That’s because the offline maps are updating - it’ll be back to normal in an hour or so. 

Sun 11 Feb, 15:31

Android is exasperating like this – things vary wildly from device to device and OS to OS!

Under the hood, location handling in the c.t Android app is treated differently for map display and navigation. The location tracking for the map is done by the map display library (Maplibre). For navigation, however, c.t gets the location from Google Play Services’ Fused Location Provider.

I suspect the issue here is that the Fused Location Provider isn’t functioning on your phone for some reason. That might be if you don’t have Google Play Services running. But I confess I’m not sure what the steps would be to diagnose and fix this.

(Following a route offline should certainly be possible on the c.t Android app – you can download both your routes and the basemap for offline use.)

Sun 11 Feb, 16:38

Hi both of you.

I can still see my downloaded map area and routes, and downloading a test route worked fine also (So I guess the offline maps updated)

Ah I see Richard, that's interesting that it's two different systems.

My phone should be running the play services, as I can use the app store, as well as other play services just fine.

I'll look into the Fused Location Provider and see if there are any settings i need to enable to use it.

I'm next out on the bike tomorrow, so I'll give c.t another go with the map, and route downloaded for offline use.

I'm on Android 13, so it's been out a couple years.

I appreciate all the help.

Mon 12 Feb, 10:33

My apologies for the misleading info. Yes. CT does navigate offline now. 

Jack, I wonder if part of the problem is the Samsung version of Android? I used to have a Samsung tablet and its functionality was different to just about every Android phone I used, I recall there being issues with gps on it (but it was a while ago and I can't recall specifically). There definitely were issues with moving files around on it. 

My suggestion is to google variations of the problem. Others will have had the same problem(s) and often workarounds or solutions are discussed. On YouTube as well. 

Tue 13 Feb, 19:31

No problem.

It's possible, Samsung certainly like to change a lot, a Pixel might work better as it's unmodified Android (Sadly I don't have another mobile to test with)

I've had no luck with researching & testing suggestions sadly, so for the moment I think I'll have to rely on other services.

I'll definitely keep an eye on c.t though as I think it's a fantastic route planner.

Cheers for all the help Hobbes & Richard!