Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Supporting CT

Saturday 10 February
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi,

I'm new to CT, just been using it to try out different routes (in theory so far 😊) for our Kiel - Malaga trip this summer. I find it very useful and I really respect Richard's philosophy. Therfore I wanted to support this site. When trying this, the site (Patreon) comes up adding 25% Norwegian vat to the amount. Is there any other way to to support the site? I don't want to pay tax on a donation. Thanks. 

Comments

Sun 11 Feb, 15:36

Really glad you like it! If you have a smartphone then you can become a supporter via the app instead – your account on the website will get the supporter status too.

Sun 11 Feb, 20:21

I have tried now. The only place for support I could find, was via the "Account Status" But the link there is Patron.com and I'm stuck with the same problem, ie supporting the Norwegian government with 25% VAT. That can't be right. I don't buy anything, I do a donation... Strange. Any other workaround? 

Sun 11 Feb, 20:49

There’s a “Support” icon on the left in the app - do you see that?

Mon 12 Feb, 08:35
Mon 12 Feb, 08:37

This is my screen. No support button. Country settings? 

Mon 12 Feb, 16:12

Logged out and in of the app, and the button popped up. 😊

Mon 12 Feb, 16:12

Oh that’s good! I’ll take a look at why it might not have been appearing. 

Mon 12 Feb, 20:45

Yes, that was a bit strange. 

But when I entered the support page, the amounts seemed to be different than those that came up when I came from the website. Anyway, I don't want to waste neither your time nor mine, so now I'm a supporter! 😊 Apparently also of the Norwegian government. As if they don't take enough of my salary already. 😂

Thu 15 Feb, 08:50

This is an amazing site thank you and Bravo!  ...and I too just signed up to make a contribution.  I am a bit allergic however to subscription models and was therefore intending to make a "one-time" donation which could be periodically augmented.  Have not yet downloaded app but could not find any option for doing this online.

Thu 15 Feb, 09:49

Graham, there is now an annual subscription option https://cycle.travel/post/5642

For "one time" donations I believe that is possible on the Patreon site (It's been a while since I looked) but I'd imagine that may mean that you'd lose access to some of the subscriber benefits such as the extra maps and the very informative subscriber emails that highlight the new developments and tweaks. I'm sure a "workaround" could be organised on an individual basis but as time goes on that could become very unwieldy.

Like you, I'm very wary of online subscriptions so I use PayPal (other options are available). That way there is a barrier between my credit/debit card and the payee. I can also set limits on PayPal as to maximum amounts etc. while receiving notices in real time of any activity. For the online world it's about as secure as it can be. 

I can't check but I believe that the Android app allows payment through our Google Accounts - again quite secure. I can't speak for iphones.

Finally, there are "online only" bank accounts. They can be very useful for making online payments as they can normally show upcoming payments, offer real time activity and can be set up to require authorisation in advance. There may be a small fee but they can be effective in offering good levels of security and only the money we have in them is at any (minimal) risk. Simply transfer in our monthly commitment at the start of each month either automatically or manually. Manually requires a bit of discipline but is a useful exercise. N26 & Revolut are two popular options.  

It may seem overly complicated but an online account coupled with something like PayPal offers excellent security. 

Thu 15 Feb, 21:44

Hi Hobbes - thank you for this additional information.  I will explore and follow up soon.  ...Already use Paypal. :-)