Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

How to split a LEJOG route into 3 day downloadable GPX files

Wednesday 31 January
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I have a LEJOG route mapped out but it is far too big to download to GPX for my garmin 530. 

Can anyone tell me how to break the route into 3 day sections for GPX download ?

Thanks

Comments

Wed 31 Jan, 08:10

Ah! The joy of Garmin! :-)

I'd suggest you investigate the "delete before" and "delete after" options on Via points.

Make a copy of your whole route.

Open the copy, add a viapoint at the end of your first stage. Select "delete after" and save the first stage separately.

Now add a viapoint at the end of stage 2 and do the same. 

You'll end up with your three stages. If you store them in the one folder you can click on the map icon and see them all displayed at the same time. It's pretty cool!

Next time, you can make use of CT's "Overnight" feature. This allows us to plot a multi-day route and CT can automatically break it down into daily sections for downloading. 

Or get a Wahoo :-) No distance issues there.

Good luck! 

Thu 1 Feb, 06:54

Thanks for your input. I was hoping there'd be a simpler method but I'll give this a go.

Thu 1 Feb, 09:11

You should be able to use the overnight feature as it is:

At the places you want to split, click the route and select ‘Overnight stop’.

Then click Save, and select ‘Split into multiple days’.

Thu 1 Feb, 09:46
You should be able to use the overnight feature as it is:
At the places you want to split, click the route and select ‘Overnight stop’.
Then click Save, and select ‘Split into multiple days’.

Apologies! That is, of course, more straightforward. 

Wed 7 Feb, 09:26

All good & got it sorted using overnight stops & creating 6 x 3 day files with delete before & after.

Thanks for your help Hobbes On Tour and Richard Fairhurst

Thu 8 Feb, 09:43

Thanks for coming back, Alan. Apologies again, for omitting the overnight stop option. That really is something to utilise for longer rides. It's incredibly useful.