Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

What countries do you have maps for?

Monday 22 January
by Ivan Pope
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi,

I tried to do a route in Vietnam but cycle.travel doesn't know where Hanoi is (except one in Costa Rica). That made me realise I had no idea what countries you covered, but as you use the OSM maps I presume all countries. Or are there omissions?

Thanks 

Ivan

Comments

Mon 22 Jan, 23:44

Ivan, there are a lot of omissions. 

If you zoom out on the map you'll see where is covered

Basically, Europe, the USA (not Alaska, Hawaii), Australia & NZ and hidden from view, the beauty that is México.

My understanding is that each new region requires a lot of work for CT to understand the data so that it can deliver the standard of routes that it is known for. And server space! Lots of server space.

Wed 24 Jan, 10:47

Exactly that – plus Canada (or at least the bits you’re likely to cycle in).

cycle.travel has subtly different routing rules for each region/country. It’s not just a matter of applying the same treatment to OSM around the world – there’s a fair amount of supplementary data sprinkled in, plus lots of adjustments to cater for differing road/path quality in each country (and OSM mapping practice).

The routing needs about 52GB RAM for Europe, 27GB for North America, a bit more for AU/NZ. So adding more regions requires renting another server and sadly servers are expensive. As and when c.t becomes more popular I might be able to afford to do so!

Fri 8 Mar, 23:11

Thanks and fair enough, just wondered if I was doing something stupid!