Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Feature request: uploading gpx files

30 Sep 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

From time to time I use routes from books as a starting point for planning. Cycle.travel gives this advice, 'The GPX file must contain trackpoints (not routepoints or waypoints)'. When cycle.travel will not upload a route I use a second app to upload the gpx file, export the route and then upload it to cycle.travel. Is it possible for cycle.travel imitate these other apps and accept the gpx file without trackpoints? Cycle.travel is now my main cycle route planning app and this would be a time saving feature to have. Thanks for your help.

Comments

Sun 1 Oct 2023, 09:49

Derek, I'm wary of importing gpx files from another source. There is no guarantee that the imported route will be an exact copy of the original. Certainly, CT "adjusts" any route that I import. That's probably because I tend to take "interesting" diversions that CT doesn't always recommend :-)

However, CT has the very useful "Trace" feature that will display a gpx route as an overlay on the CT map. Unless an epic, zig-zagging route it's reasonably straightforward to plot a route along the trace. If all you're really interested in is the start point then it's a quick and easy solution. 

A bit more explanation here: https://cycle.travel/forum/thread/5355

Sun 1 Oct 2023, 12:05

Thank you, that is very helpful! Happy trails!

Mon 2 Oct 2023, 16:42

If you have a particular source of GPX files that would be useful for c.t to understand, let me know – there are so many variants I don’t really want to promise to support them all, but if there’s one common one that c.t doesn’t understand, I could look at that.

Wed 4 Oct 2023, 20:00

Hi Richard.

After import of a gpx (rte) route you obvisously can't exactly predict the exact trackpath result.

By a standard gpx (trk) track import, you have to retrace the shown path as faithfully as possible.

A simple but hardly known 100% truthfull TBT navigation anyway is possible by a gpx navigation track.

Such a gpx navigation track transfer is offered in the Cruiser app. Locus map supports the import.

The format is also produced by RouteYou web and yet as a little bit hidden feature by BRouter web.

Some years ago I  also presented a +/- similar method by waypoints as now is offered by Plotaroute web gpx.

This little bit now older method finally has resulted into an even more simple navtrack version as presented.

Richard if interested using the nice features as offered by this simple gpx implementation also for cycle travel gpx transfers be invited.

cycle.travel/by/willy