Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Train stations not appearing on the map

4 Sep 2023
by Adam B
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Stations mapped as areas (like this one) don't appear on the cycle.travel layer at any zoom level. This is unfortunate for a route planner as I quite enjoy using trains to get to the start or take me home from the end of my rides.

OSM Carto (and all the other layers) are able to handle it.

Comments

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 17:54

Hi Adam,

I know little about how these things are tagged but I'm used to looking for the red dots to denote a train station and a quick glance shows at least one on the Melbourne map (Melbourne North) and zooming out shows many others along lines and in other urban areas. Newport seems to be more of a metro type station? Perhaps this is the issue?

However, I'm not seeing the problem. Presumably you're local so have an idea of (roughly) where the stations are? Select the appropriate map, find the accurate location of the station,  plot your route and off you go, no?

If not local, perhaps consider becoming a subscriber you'll get access to more maps and these types of stations are more clearly labelled. For example this is the OpenCycleMap

This is the Outdoors map - as clear as day.

Interestingly, the standard map on the Android app shows the station clearly:

Mon 4 Sep 2023, 18:52

I think this is a change in mapping practice really. It used to be the case that stations in OSM would always be represented by a node on the railway even if an area existed. If that’s changing then I’ll look at poking the stylesheet to look at areas as well. 

Hobbes - thank you for the screenshot. I need to work on the text sizes for the bike computer section clearly!

Tue 5 Sep 2023, 08:56
Hobbes - thank you for the screenshot. I need to work on the text sizes for the bike computer section clearly!

:-) Ah, Richard, I think you have more than enough to be doing than worrying about font size!