Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Thoughts about a map annotations feature

15 Aug 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Been thinking about how I make annotations to paper maps and how that helps in route planning.

Was wondering if it would be possible to add a feature of annotations to the map in the form of pinned notes and also highlighted sections of road/track also with a text note.  These would be independent of a planned route and just appear as part of the background map.

Maybe with the ability to make some annotations public and subscribe to other users additions.

Comments

Tue 15 Aug 2023, 17:06

Annotations/notes is absolutely something I’d like to do. I’d be very interested to hear people’s ideas in this thread. 

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 10:19

This is an interesting one.

There's a balance, I think, to be struck between being a "do everything" planner and a really good bike route planner, so I'll stick my head above the parapet and say that I think anything that will detract from the simplicity and efficiency of CT should be approached with caution.

First things first, the ability to add a viapoint to a route and add a note is a huge advantage and with a bit of imagination can be used in a lot of ways.

Something I might be interested in seeing that's 5km off my route? Stick a viapoint and a note at the relevant junction and I can decide on the day.

A more general commentary on a route (discussed previously) would be a useful supplement to allow people add relevant notes to a route that can easily be edited or updated as the route may be developed. The current option is a bit cumbersome.

I have no idea what's involved under the hood for collaboration and sharing but it's something I'd be wary of. I can already email a route to someone.

I tend to use Osmand (and occasionally Google Maps) to locate things on or near my route that CT doesn't show. Common ones would be accommodation, shops etc. Both of those allow me the option of marking off and labelling in advance places I may be interested in. iOverlander is another one. All of these work offline.

If it would be possible to do the same on CT I would see that as a huge boost - but not essential (because that functionality already exists in combination. ) 

That would involve an ability to search for things - services, accommodation, tourism categories etc. and a manner to mark and label those on a map, independent of a route and preferably with different symbols. Or at the very least, these things would need to be marked on a map so no search function would be necessary. The key, however, is that the search would need to be comprehensive. 

Or perhaps a series of maps such as:

1: Regular CT map

2. CT map with Tourist info

3. CT map with Accommodation info. Etc.

Or have your servers just melted? :-)

When plotting a route the user can alternate different maps and adjust their route accordingly. (I have my Osmand set up that way - the "car map" shows some categories, the bike others and the hiking still others. Less clutter, more clarity).

Alternatively (and I don't know how practical this is) but in a manner similar to the accommodation search as it currently is, perhaps a search for the other things people are most likely to want?

So, I could, in theory, click on a section of route to see all the stores or all the historical sites or all the beaches etc.

The trick, really, is to know what people are going to be looking for.

And this is possibly where I'm going to really annoy you! Sorry!

Is there anything to be said for doing some research on how people are using CT now and how they would like to see it develop? A useful research project for a relevant University student?

For certain, I'm sure it would be very useful to see the take-up of the Apps and how they affect the way people use CT.

I also wonder on the location of users and how that affects usage. CT is international! 

And in the same vein, is there anything to be said for a proper "users' manual". The amount of things that CT can do is phenomenal and I'm not sure everyone understands that. I certainly don't and I've been using it a long time.

(If you thought it helpful and wanted to round up a posse of volunteers I'd be delighted to write up some hints and tips or a section or two).

Another thing to consider now that there are 2 apps and a website is if all three are going to be able to do the same things? And, if the website is going to be the "main" planning tool, will the apps have the functionality to display the full functionality of a route created on the website?

I'm aware that what I'm suggesting is a "back to basics" approach with a whole load of faff work but it strikes me as an optimum time to do it with two apps starting out. 

The fact is that I trust CT above any other planner out there because the routes are so good and it is so easy and clear to use. I am always bemused when I meet other cyclists rigidly sticking with a competitor despite regular issues. 

I also accept that my usage may not be typical and I know diddly squat about tech so feel free to tell me I'm talking out of my hat. 

Best of luck ...... And sorry again!