Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Mid Summer now - Android App When?

30 Jul 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

This site will be useful for me when it has an Android app. The primary purpose for me is to use when I'm on the bike. Not going out to spend a K on an Apple product just to use this. Please can we have the Android app soon (which I'll be very happy to pay for).

Comments

Sun 30 Jul 2023, 17:39

Current ETA is that, all things being equal, the Android app should be with cycle.travel supporters this week and then live on the Play Store for everyone later in August. I’m working on it as fast as I humanly can!

Sun 30 Jul 2023, 23:33

Thank You. Did also see a post somewhere about how to pay for OS maps?

Mon 31 Jul 2023, 07:51

Jeez Mike! On the one hand you want the app asap, on the other hand you're sending the poor man off to track down a vague post! :-)

From the Help section: How can I support cycle.travel? (Help is accessible from the top right of the "map" screen)

Thank you! You can make a donation to us via Patreon. But you can also help by spreading the word about cycle.travel to your fellow cyclists.
Unlike many other route-planners, we don’t have external funding from venture capitalists or investors – we’re entirely independent. So your support makes a big difference.

https://www.patreon.com/join/cycle_travel

Becoming a subscriber gives access to a variety of different maps, including OS (and their equivalents abroad). My understanding is that the app is free so if you want to see the extra maps and help out......

You'll also get a monthly (ish!) email with all the latest developments, updates and improvements in CT. It's a real eye opener in terms of what Richard manages to get done, big and small and a great way of learning even more about this great tool.

Richard, the very best of luck to you. I'm back on the road and really looking forward to giving it a shot. 

Mon 31 Jul 2023, 11:26

As a supporter (thank you!) you can see the OS maps on cycle.travel just by using the map selector in the top right.

The OS maps won’t be in the very first version of the Android app but will be along in the autumn. (Boring technical explanation: OS maps use a different “projection” to pretty much every other web map, which means they don’t fall on the same grid. To get round this we have to do a lot of heavy lifting and complicated programming. It’s all very doable – and indeed both the website and the iPhone app can do it – but I didn’t want to delay the Android app by several weeks just to wait for this.)