Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Night option?

13 Jul 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I've looked through the help files but cannot find any information about the night option. I was wondering what it was doing if I select that option? Thanks. 

Comments

Thu 13 Jul 2023, 13:17

Hi Joel, From the subscriber's newsletter:

I’ve added an experimental new routing mode to the website this month – night-time routing.

This restricts the routes chosen to roads, cycle paths beside roads, and lit paths on dedicated cycle routes. So it won’t follow unlit towpaths or routes through parks, for example. It’s intended for those who understandably feel anxious about cycling unlit routes on these dark nights.

For now it’s restricted to the UK. As best I know, nothing like this has been done before, so I’d be really interested to hear feedback on how you find it.

I agree that it can be a bit tricky to dig up all the information on all the features that CT offers, but given the responsiveness to issues highlighted here and the development of not one but two apps I'm more than happy to cut CT a little slack.

Perhaps, a gentle reminder that for the price of a cup of coffee we can all be updated every month on all the developments :-)