Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Rerouting offroad GPX files

11 Jul 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello, love cycle.travel, thanks for making it!
The only issue I currently have is when uploading GPX files for offroad rides from a different source, which might include off-piste trails, cycle.travel re-routes the track, leading to some crazy routing. This often takes a while to sort out. 
An option to stick to the original track would be invaluable. Thanks again.

Comments

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 13:19

This appears to be a feature of most imports from one source to another, but most particularly obvious on off-road routes. 

Changes may be minor, but they can occur. I do know that it can happen within the one application. RWGPS, for example, can change a route by simply changing the map type on display.

You don't say where you are or what the source is, but from my experience, taking Komoot as just one example, some of the "routing" Komoot offers is actually illegal or impassable.

My understanding is that, while the underlying map may be the same, the algorithims used are different so Komoot is effectively making different "choices" to CT. In unknown areas I trust CT far more than any other planner. Not saying it is 100% correct 100% of the time but it is more reliable.

If you really want to follow the route from another source, you could try adding viapoints in the source application before import. Alternatively, follow it in the source application. If that is not possible I have found Osmand to be quite accurate at importing gpx files - but not 100% foolproof.