Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Public transport from La Rochelle to Ouisterham

2 Jul 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Am really keen to do the Velo Francette next May.  Am already thinking about how you get back from La Rochelle to Ouisterham without going via Paris - any suggestions?  Also my husband and I are not in the first flush of youth and don't know if we will manage more than 30 miles a day so am wondering if it is essential that you pre-book accommodation or whether you can get it on an ad hoc basis? 

Comments

Mon 3 Jul 2023, 12:13

Sue, presuming you're in the UK you might get a bigger audience on a couple of the UK cycling fora. CycleChat is friendly and there is also the Cycling UK forum.

The Man in Seat 61 is a good resource for figuring out train travel. 

As for pre-booking accommodation you don't say what kind of accommodation. I presume you're not camping? Also, pre-booking for some can mean months in advance and the day before for others.

Personally, I much prefer the freedom of no bookings, but I tend to camp. 

Usually it comes down to personal preferences. Some people don't enjoy the stress of looking for a place to sleep in a strange town, others thrive on it. Rolling up can be both more expensive and a lot cheaper, and there's always the risk (excitement?) of having to roll on to the next place.

If taking a more casual approach it's a good idea to check out holidays (national and local) in advance. 

Good luck!

Mon 3 Jul 2023, 13:39

The Facebook group ‘Cycling in France’ (run by the Freewheeling France website) is also really helpful.

I find this PDF map useful for trying to figure out French regional trains: https://www.sncf-reseau.com/en/carte/carte-reseau-ferre-en-france

I think your best bet for avoiding Paris would be to take a train from La Rochelle to Nantes – these run six times a day. You can then take local trains across Brittany to either Caen or Saint Malo, changing again at Rennes or possibly Le Mans.

When I rode the Velo Francette I booked on the day and had no problems.

Mon 3 Jul 2023, 13:43

Thank you for much for the info - that is really helpful.  Def not camping - we are both mid 70s and spending our children's inheritance so will stay in hotels! Will check out trains that you have suggested.