Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

secure cycle parking

23 Jun 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I, like an increasing number of cyclists these days, own an electric bike. We use them, not for racing one another around the countryside or epic journeys, but simply to get from A to B to go shopping or visit the dentist etc. The problem is that when we get to B there is almost never a secure place to lock our rather expensive ((and stealable) bikes. Consequently I often leave the bike at home and drive because finding a parking spot for a car is usually much easier.

There is a desperate need for a central resource that lists secure cycle parking sites in every town and place of interest. And where there are none, a campaign to have them installed. Isn't that something cycle.travel ought to be doing? I have searched in vain to find information about where I can park my bike in Swanage tomorrow.

Comments

Sat 24 Jun 2023, 12:40

Here you go: https://www.cyclinguk.org/

Sun 25 Jun 2023, 14:29

I feel your pain – I have an electric Tern GSD as the “family bike” and I’m perpetually nervous about letting it out of my sight.

I think a campaign and maintaining a list is beyond the resources of cycle.travel I’m afraid (which is one person – me!). As Hobbes says, it might be something that Cycling UK would be interested in doing.

cycle.travel uses OpenStreetMap as its base data and you can record cycle parking locations on there, which c.t will pick up for the mapping and mobile app. I might give some thought to showing locations with CCTV differently.