Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Bridleway option?

18 Jun 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Unless I’m missing something we currently have Any/Paved/Gravel/Night options in the route planning. Could a Bridleway option be added for use with the OS map? For example, if I set a start point at one end of a stretch of b/way and an end point at the other it just wants to route me on roads. It would be really handy for joining up sections of b/ways too.

Thanks, Steve.

Comments

Sun 18 Jun 2023, 22:39

It may be that cycling is not permitted on the bridleways?

Have you tried adding a viapoint (or more than one) along where you want to go? With a program like CT there may be reasons that the bridleway is not getting priority so adding a viapoint or two will encourage it to go that way.

If that doesn't work, you could try the "direct to" feature.

Place a viapoint at the start of the bridleway, another at the end. click on the first viapoint and select "Direct to". This will "draw" a straight line between the two points. Of course, it may not follow the route of the bridleway exactly, and I cannot say what effect this will have on any climbing or distance information.

And, very importantly, it is assumed that bikes are allowed on that bridleway.

You can always check the situation on https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/53.5172/9.9386&layers=N and leave a note if you think the underlying information is incorrect.

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 11:09

The gravel mode will generally choose bridleways if the surface is tolerable.

The OS map is just that – a map. The routing is still based on OpenStreetMap data even if you have the OS map displayed. (OS don’t have routable path data except in National Parks.)

If the gravel mode won’t route over a bridleway, it might be that there’s no surface information in OSM, or even that it’s incompletely marked as (say) just a ‘path’ or ‘track’ without the bridleway information. You can edit it yourself if you’re comfortable with OSM, or if not, do say where it is and I can take a look!

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 13:17

Thanks folks, I think you probably have it Richard with the lack of surface info on OSM.

I had no idea how it all worked, apologies. I thought I could just plan a route on the OS map.
Here are two points that are at different ends of a bridleway, it’s all perfectly rideable, I did it on Sunday. 
52.291,1.4776 to 52.3106,1.468 The b/way isn’t on the OSM and just routes around the roads. It won’t let me add a viapoint as Hobbes suggests, but I’ll give his other idea a go.

Yes, cycling on bridleways in the U.K. is totally legal, not footpaths though 😉

Many thanks,

Steve.

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 14:11

Great – thanks for that. I’ve added it to OSM (it was completely missing apart from a dead-end section marked as a driveway). c.t takes an update from OSM about once a month, so once that takes place, it’ll be routable.

Wed 21 Jun 2023, 07:27

Fantastic, many thanks Richard.

Wed 21 Jun 2023, 12:28

It won’t let me add a viapoint as Hobbes suggests, but I’ll give his other idea a go.

I had a little play around using the co-ordinates you supplied.

The bridleway is clear to see on the OS map, but on no other map, a piece of "recognised" road can be seen on the other map styles leading to the destination.

On the (normal) CT map I added a viapoint on that visible road between the start and end point.

Clicked on the start point and selected " direct to 1" (being viapoint 1) and it created a "route" that would work for navigation purposes, if not exactly following the bridleway. 

You can see here: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/448450 

Interestingly, I wasn't allowed to a "direct to end" from the start point and similarly, adding a via point beside the start and selecting "direct to end" didn't work either. 

If using a gps device (or preparing printed notes) you may be able to add a note (to a viapoint) that will remind you that this section of route may not follow the bridleway exactly.