Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Points of Interest Marker

19 May 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello Richard,

I have tried searching the forum on this subject with no success. 

Is it possible to make a point of interest marker on a route, rather than a via point? I am plotting a route to take in specific landmarks and would like them to be shown on the route as marker, possibly in a different colour to make the plotting a little easier. Not sure if this is a feature, or you may have a work around? Thank you, Frank 

Comments

Fri 19 May 2023, 07:59

These previous discussions may help

Adding notes to Viapoints won't display differently on the map but will be visible on Turn by Turn directions on GPS and PDF

https://cycle.travel/forum/thread/4514

https://cycle.travel/forum/thread/4719

Fri 19 May 2023, 18:46

They display a little differently – a deep red/maroon circle rather than a blue one. As Hobbes says they will also appear in the turn-by-turn directions. Frank – does that do what you’re after?

Sat 20 May 2023, 14:18

Thank you Richard, & Hobbes. This has allowed me to add as required. Will these via points now show on the Garmin when following the route?

Sat 20 May 2023, 14:30

"Will these via points now show on the Garmin when following the route?"

That will depend on your Garmin and downloading the appropriate TCX files. I am not a Garmin user so cannot answer specifically. My suggestion is to test it out.

I will highlight the possibility (discussed in one of those threads) of an "automatic" instruction (eg "turn right") over-riding a manually added via-point. In other words, your viapoint only shows up for a second or two before being replaced by an "automatic" one. 

I can't say that I have ever noticed this, but I presume it is a possibility, moreso on the kind of route that has a lot of TBT directions. 

Sat 20 May 2023, 18:27

Ok, I’ll try it out. Thank you for your help. 

Sun 21 May 2023, 09:34

They should show up if you download a TCX course or a GPX route – these are the two formats that include turn-by-turn waypoints. As ever, though, the ways of Garmin are mysterious!