Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Route to optimize speed and minimize climbing

10 May 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Aside from trial and error, is there any way to accomplish optimize speed and/or minimize climbing on a route?

Comments

Thu 11 May 2023, 01:08

The short answer would appear ro be "no"- My understanding is that we have very few options to set that can influence the algorithm (surface being the main one), Hence CT concentrates on generating excellent routs of a specific kind. Climbing is normally minimised but I think it's fair to say that speed isn't a significant factor.

What may be helpful to you is to use the "find alternative" option.

Presuming a point to point ride, enter your start and end points, click "get route" and then click "find alternative". Depending on location, length of route and options available you can get up to three versions. Save each one, then compare for distance and elevation. 

The same option is available (often with more options)  if using the "suggest a ride" feature.

Taking into account the surfaces (Any, Paved Only, Gravel) it could (theoretically) be possible for CT to quickly generate a few options for further investigation.

You may find it helpful to change the map type to one that may better show the topography. I'm not sure what is available for free but by becoming a supporter you get access to more maps and more detail.  

The issue usually with "faster" routes is the traffic and depending on where in the world you are that can be significant.

Hope this helps

Thu 11 May 2023, 11:44

Yes – the way that c.t works under the hood means that its preferences aren’t really customisable, I’m afraid. It does try to minimise climbing, but its main consideration is avoiding traffic, so it won’t generally find the fastest routes.

I’d strongly recommend Brouter if you’re looking for more customisation. It has lots of profiles (18!) and you can set your own as well. http://brouter.de/brouter-web/