Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Is there a way to comment/rate routes people post?

9 May 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Just curious as I loved some of the routes people have posted and would love to post a comment to them about it or discuss the route with others. :) Thank you!

Comments

Wed 10 May 2023, 15:42

My 2 cent's worth would be that there is no shortage of social media for discussing anything related to routes, there is no shortage of bike route planners that have bells and whistles for easily swapping routes but that here is a singular bike route planner that is excellent at planning routes. Anything that might get in the way of that should be treated sceptically, in my opinion.

As outlined above, it is very easy to share a route by simply copying the url. Then anyone can download it, in whatever format best suits them. I happen to prefer it to the "bigger" alternatives. A route meticulously created in CycleTravel may well present differently if opened in Strava, Komoot or RWGPS.

If you wished to have a  discussion on a specific route there is nothing to stop you posting the URL here? 

On the topic of using other people's routes, though, I do wonder how many users are aware that their routes are available for searching unless the route has been set to private? Is it an idea to allow users choose the default public/private option?

I know it has been mentioned before about looking again at the search function but if the facility was added that people could comment on a user's route I could foresee a lot of extra work, not just "under the hood" but also in terms of protecting users from spam or worse. Unfortunately, these are the times we live in.