Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Determining location

27 Dec 2022
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

While cycling a gravel trail in the UK without a paper map (unusual), mobile telephone signal was lost. The ios cycle.travel app (on an iPhone12)  was unable to locate my position. Is a mobile signal essential for positioning, I would expect gps to kick in?

Comments

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 11:52

Not a user of the app but I'd imagine the issue had more to do with the underlying map. Unless that is "saved" (either directly or in the cache) the gps won't be able to place you.  

In the most recent subscriber update there is reference to "downloaded maps" which leads me to believe that there may be an extra step somewhere to download the relevant maps (as opposed to just the route) 

Do you have any "saved" maps on your phone (Osmand, Google etc.)? If so, they can be used to check if your gps is working as it should. GPS positioning is often improved by having Wifi turned on in my experience. 

Osmand is a very useful app to get to know for the simple reason that it works offline (once maps have been downloaded). It's no replacement for CT since its routing is more "interesting" but in a pinch it can be a lifesaver as well as having lots of Points of Interest.

Fri 30 Dec 2022, 08:05

Thank you for your help HobbesOnTour, I appreciate it.

I have downloaded the area maps that I need. I have also downloaded Osmand.

I have also upgraded to the public release version of the ios cycle.travel app which may solve the issue.

As a cycle tourist, like yourself (although I am now restricted to fixed centre touring), I find cycle.travel the best out of all the apps available, especially in route planning and the clarity of its mapping.

Happy trails!

Derek Cassells

Fri 30 Dec 2022, 14:58

Upgrading to the public version is definitely a good idea!

As far as position goes, the app just asks the phone for the position, and it’s up to the phone where it gets it from – whether that be GPS, cell tower triangulation, or wifi signals. The cycle.travel app does ignore any location signals that have a low degree of accuracy, but if you’re out in the open then that shouldn’t be an issue as you should have GPS reception.

I recall I did make a few fixes along these lines, so let me know if it still reoccurs with the public release.