Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

route planning headache

23 Apr 2022
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Is it me or when I'm planning a route I click on a point (maybe by mistake) and I get a message saying something like 'unable to find this point on map' or something similar, fair enough but when I click OK the whole route gets zero'd!!! so frustrating to have to start all over again. Wouldn't it be better to just go back one step? Or am I doing something wrong.

Comments

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 21:56

I’m not sure what you’re doing there John – could you say what the exact message is, and how you get it?

Sun 22 May 2022, 23:20

Hi Richard,

Yes the message says 'sorry could'nt find a route between those places' then when I click on the X to remove the box the whole route I have started is removed rather than the last (by mistake, maybe) section I am planning, so have to start all over

Sat 11 Jun 2022, 06:37

Did you receive this last message Richard? Was planning a long trip around Holland and it happened again.

Yes the message says 'sorry could'nt find a route between those places' then when I click on the X to remove the box the whole route I have started is removed rather than the last (by mistake, maybe) section I am planning, so have to start all over

Sat 11 Jun 2022, 16:28

Its always a good idea to save frequently ;) ..

Similar to 
cycle.travel/forum/thread/4366
the routing seems to auto-remove via points in more situations than it should be allowed to. (In my opinion the only valid reason to remove vias is when explicitly switching from any to paved .. in all other cases - even when reversing travel direction - the assumption should be that vias exist for a reason)

Sun 12 Jun 2022, 11:06

John, I can't answer for cycle travel but a workaround is to select "Paved only" at the very start ("hamburger" menu). This should drastically reduce the number of times you get the message.

You can always change back to unpaved later and compare the two routes.

As well as that, save every time that you add a new via point or make any other change.

Hope that helps.

Tue 13 Dec 2022, 08:44

👍