Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Opening elevation profile changes route

28 Jul 2021
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I experience this strange behaviour since a couple of days. When I open one of my saved routes and then click the elevation icon to see the profile, the route changes. For example, one route has two waypoints, and when opening the elevation profile, one waypoint is removed. The saved route is not affected, so closing and opening it again gives me the correct route.

One route where this happens is this one: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/137091

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Comments

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 10:11

It’s because the elevation comes back from the server together with the route, so when you ask for the elevation, it actually calculates the route again at the same time. If the underlying map has changed (e.g. a new cycleway has opened, or we’ve added traffic data that changes the weighting for a particular road) then this might be a slightly different route from when you saved it. In due course I might look at a way to send the elevation back on its own, but until then you could add a via point in the section that’s diverged to ‘pin’ it to your original route. 

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 12:26

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense to me. I moved the affected waypoint slighty, saved the route and now it does not disappear when I open the elevation profile.