Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

cycle.travel behaves great as a Webapp on my Android phone

23 Jan 2020
by Angstrom
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Thanks Richard. CT works very well on my Android smartphone.

You've done an excellent job with the mobile web interface. I use it now on the go on very easily.

One small problem remains: I didn't find a way to center on my current location. Probably because of some permissions and not becasue of CT.

FYI, I use it with Opera Web browser and I've added CT to my "Home Screen".

This creates a shortcut directly on the phone screen. When tapping it, CT launches as a web app (hides away the browser "decorations" and CT is in full screen). Beautiful.

If you would add just a few lines of code on your web site, you could actually make it even beautiful on the device by adding a custom icon for the CT shortcut (after "adding to Home Screen"). This would make CT mobile look like a real app on the phone and make it easier for users to find the icon on the screen.

I searched rapidly on the web and found how to do this for iOS, but I'm sure it exists for android because another app I use has its own icon like that here: wym-1579793224505

Anyway, just cosmetics. But again, this makes it a very good friend on the road (when within coverage of a mobile network of course).

Comments

Fri 24 Jan 2020, 10:24

Thanks! The icon is a great idea – I’ll take a look at that. The location button has been a bit intermittent but it should be working better now – any joy?

Fri 24 Jan 2020, 12:51

Yes, the location button works now.

One more idea. Wouldn't be nice to have the great cue sheet be "live" with the location? I don't know if it'd be technically possible, but I'd find it great to see the cue sheet sccroll along when I move along the route.

Thanks a lot for your site/app.

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 16:13

I’ve added the icon – it works fine on iOS and I think I’ve added the right Android-specific markup, so let me know if it shows up. You might need to remove it from your home screen and add it again.

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 16:14

(And a live cue sheet is an interesting idea – will give it some thought.)

Tue 28 Jan 2020, 07:52

New (beautiful) shortcut working on Android too. 😊👍

But the text of the shortcut is too long to be displayed. It doesn't add value.

Tue 28 Jan 2020, 08:16

By the way, I had a good laugh after landing on your 404 page.

😂👍

Wed 5 Feb 2020, 15:08

I’ve added a short title that hopefully the home-screen link will pick up. It seems to work ok on iOS.