Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Garmin Edge 25 FIT Files

9 May 2019
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello,

I have spent the past month using the route planning tool to come up with my dream journey through Europe.

Now I want to load it onto my Garmin Edge.

Does anyone have experience successfully importing a tcx or gpx file onto one of these devices? I cannot figure out how to convert these files to a fit file.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

Thu 9 May 2019, 14:32

We have a Garmin 800 and we download our's as. TCX file. This is what is recommended for newer Garmins when you hit the GPS function tab. 

We plug our 800 into our computer and open the Garmin. The drag the downloaded file into NewFiles. Bingo! We also do the same with RideWithGPS.

Sat 11 May 2019, 12:06

Yes – Kathy’s technique works nicely for me too. The other option, if you have a new Garmin with Bluetooth, is to use a little app that you install on the Garmin, called RouteCourse.

Once you've installed it on the Garmin via ConnectIQ, it gives you a link and access code to punch into its website (dynamicwatch.link; you need to register an account there too).

From then on, you can use that website to open GPX tracks downloaded from cycle.travel. Copy the text marked “GPX track link (copy and paste into apps)”, and paste it into the Import function on dynamicwatch.link.

Once you've done that, the RouteCourse app on your Garmin will talk to dynamicwatch.link and list all the routes you've imported. Clicking a route on the Garmin will download it, and from then it's accessible via 'Courses' as usual.

The good thing about this is that there are no cables or file downloads required – it all happens wirelessly, so you can use it on the move.