Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

10 May 2018
by aiden
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi, this site is great for making routes but I seem to have a problem getting turn by turn directions working on my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. as far as I can see the only suggestion people have is to use ridewithgps to make routes instead. I'd like to continue to use this website as I really like the avoidance of main roads, can you help?

Comments

Sun 13 May 2018, 10:23

Hmmm - that seems odd. Could you let me know an example route you’re trying it with, what format you use (GPX track, TCX, etc...), and what the Bolt says when you try? I don’t have one to test with but can try and see what’s going on. 

Mon 14 May 2018, 12:05

Thanks, I have tried a variety of file types and with or without warnings at 30m etc and to no avail. I understand that the map on the Elemnt bolt doesn't understand when there is a turn on its own and so needs something from the gpx file to tell it. garmins don't have the problem with the same file as their maps contain more data.

Here's and example route http://cycle.travel/map/journey/63491

I can see the route overlaid on the map, but get "n/a" in the distance to cue field and get no pop ups or directions I simply have to stay on the line on the map.

when friends have provided files from ride with gps i haven't had this issued. I'my to test out a few different files on my Elemnt if you have any suggestions. t

Sat 9 Jun 2018, 10:27

I would also like to know how to resolve this as I have the same issues.

Any ideas/help would be great?

Thu 14 Jun 2018, 21:56

My own findings (testing a new Elemnt)

TCX Course - Good route line overlaying map, turn by turn directions (warning and immediately after turn tells you the next turn). Off-track warnings and position and heading indicator on map is good. Get the indicator LED things indicating turn left/right. This is the format that seems to give everything. BUT (nothing to do with cycle.travel) whilst the monochrome display is good for map display, the turn by turn directions are not easy to read (poor choice of font?). But not enough to be an issue as I think the main thing is the route overlay on the map with current position/heading marked.

1. GPX Route - Not good as you only get straight lines between turns so when road deviates a bit from that straight line you get off track warnings (and would be useless on many rural routes). Line of track to follow not useful as it does not follow road.

2. GPX Track - Get the route line marked on the map and GPS position and heading on that route. Off-track warnings when you go off track and as it's a good track it is useful and good for navigation. No turn by turn directions.

3. TCX Activity - On iPhone you can "Open In ..." the Wahoo Companion app (to sync to the Elemnt) (i.e. it's a file type the app supports) but when it gets to the app it is rejected as an invalid file.

4. KML - Not a file type the app supports so no option to "Open in".

Thu 14 Jun 2018, 22:02

To:Aiden

Re: "I can see the route overlaid on the map, but get "n/a" in the distance to cue field and get no pop ups or directions I simply have to stay on the line on the map."

Being new to my Elemnt and 1st ride playing around I loaded  my gpx (track) and got the map, position, direction, etc. so off I set. But noticed on my other screen pages whilst I had a speed, I had no average speed, no distance. Started thinking I might have to buy some of their sensors. When I got back I realised that I'd selected the ride and had not then pressed "Start". Next try and it all worked much better!

One obvious way to tell is (apart from the buttons across the bottom of the device), if you have auto pause enabled (default is enabled), stop for a moment and the device will pop-up a big half screen banner saying the activity has been auto-paused (and it will then auto-resume when you start again.

Might not be your issue but it was something I did wrong 1st time.

Thu 28 Jun 2018, 11:10

thanks Psamathe you're right its TCX course that works. could've sworn I'd tried it. maybe its without the 30m markers that makes it work better. thanks for your help.