Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

tcx not working,gpx is??

20 Jun 2015
by phil
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I've been using tcx rather than gpx lately, I like that it gives me a little write up at the bottom of my screen as well as the map.

Today though, I've gone through the normal procedure of downloading tcx and its all gone a bit strange.

I downloaded my route, called it up on my device( Garmin Edge Touring ) and theres nothing there. It shows a route is there, bit if i try to load it theres nothing in it. If I try to set it to ride, it shuts my Garmin down.

I've followed the same procedure for gpx, and that is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

Sat 20 Jun 2015, 15:39

1st time on site can't download gpx file to Garmin .only get a Pdf file on screen.

Any Hints on how to do it.please

Sun 21 Jun 2015, 07:30

Roger, this is how I do it.

Download gpx to my laptop,right click and send to garmin,open garmin,drag gpx to newfiles and thats it.

I'm not sure if I've missed a step out there, its a lot easier to remember it when I'm actually doing it. If that doesnt work, I'll connect my Garmin later and go through it step by step.

Sun 21 Jun 2015, 15:19

Phil - is it just one route or all routes where this happens? If it's just one, could you let me know which one, so I can compare them and see if there's something odd about that one?

Sun 21 Jun 2015, 21:41

Roger, I had missed a step. After open garmin, its drag gpx to garmin, then open garmin and drag to newfiles.

Richard.  Just been playing about an it seems its all routes. I tried my Merthyr Trevethick trail route, also Kidwelly to Llantwit Major.

When I've downloaded route to garmin(in tcx) and then open it on my device it shows this: In summary, everything shows as zero. In map, I just get half a blue screen and half white. In elevation, nothing, just a grid.

I should add, when out on my ride today, my device itself was only showing the most main of mainroads, no side streets at all. I wasn't trying to follow a route, this was just looking at the map now and then. So, I'm not 100% sure its not actually a glitch in my device, I'll have a play with it this week.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Phil

Tue 28 Jul 2015, 16:09

Richard, I'm still not able to download a tcx course. I've been trying with Kidwelly to Happy Jakes, its still the same as I described before. I've tried using Chrome and Internet Explorer and it makes no difference. I've copied the route to ridewithgps and it works fine on that, just not here for some reason. I can still downlad gpx as normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Thu 27 Aug 2015, 13:05

I've just made a bunch of changes to the .tcx code and it should - fingers crossed! - be working happily now. I've tested your routes with BaseCamp and the old Garmin Training Center and both seem to be happy with the new files. I don't have a new Garmin GPS unit to test against (only an old eTrex), but I figure if BaseCamp is happy then the GPS unit should be!

Sun 30 Aug 2015, 10:02

Many thanks Richard, I'll give it a whirl on my next ride.