Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Making a route recalculate in the Android app

Thursday 14 March
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

The weather was (relatively) clement the other day so I took my bike out for a quick pilgrimage to two bike stores. I also saw this as a good occasion to "get the feel" for riding with the c.t app as my primary navigation tool. I created a route to the first store in the c.t web tool, synced it over to my Android phone and set out. The route looked fine and after my GPS position had been found (always takes a bit of time in the "city canyons" around here) I got rolling. But after a while I decided to test what would happen if I deviated from the planned route, so I overshot a turn and entered a parallel street to where I was supposed to be. I expected the navigation to recalculate and give me an updated route after I'd been off-track for a while, but no. I could see the planned route a city block (about 100 m) to my left of the "you are here" dot and that was it.

Since the first store didn't have what I wanted, I then set off for the second one, right across town to the other side. This time I entered the address manually in the Android app and it, too, gave a good route proposal, but of course, I didn't stick to it. Same thing happened - I could see the calculated route off to my left, a lot further away this time, but nothing happened, no recalculation/update.

Now, based on my previous experiences with Garmin navigators on bikes as well as with Google Maps and Waze in cars, I've grown accustomed to the navigation software detecting my going too far off a proposed route and recalculating it, but this did not seem to happen here. I can see that there's some logic to the YAFIYGI ("You Asked For It - You Got It") mind set (I'm old enough to have worked with text-processing systems before WYSIWYG editors) and I could probably learn to live with it, IF there's a "recalculate" button somewhere that I can hit to manually force it if, say, something has happened so a large chunk of my planned route is inaccessible. Flooding, avalanches, terrorist attacks, whatever. Of course I realize that this can be done in multiple ways. Nearest route to the next via point or the destination. Nearest route to the nearest point on the original one. This is all "prior art" (Garmin, Google and Waze all do it. I haven't tried it on Osmand yet) so it's definitely doable. And I can't really think I'm the only one this has happened to, so, what am I missing?

Comments

Thu 14 Mar, 18:33

You’re not missing anything, I just didn’t have time to add that to the Android app before the first release (it’s in the iPhone app). Google has one or two or 60,000 more programmers than me so it takes a while to get to parity! It should be in the next release.

Thu 14 Mar, 22:38

Ah! Thanks for the fast reply. I'll be awaiting the next release with bated breath.

Fri 22 Mar, 14:20

This gets my vote too. One of the reasons I dislike the bizarrely popular but flawed Komoot! It gave me a silly route that didn't follow the cycle path and incessantly nagged me to turn back. Then, when I neared my outbound track it thought I was about to start my day's ride over again instead of taking me home! Beyond dumb! Glad I discovered cycle.travel. :-)