Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

How to maximize secure bike paths?

Sunday 10 March
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hey, I have a few comments/questions about finding routes that maximize secure routes:

- Is there a way to maximize the bike paths? I noticed the "Paved" option but it seems to maximize the paved roads but not necessarily the secured paved paths.

- I very much appreciate the "Find Alternative" option, and I would even like if it offered more alternatives for me to discover, even if they make the length of the route longer.

- I'm confused that some parts of the route do not seem to be accounted for under the "Route Summary". For example one chunk is neither "paved road", "unpaved road", "paved path", "unpaved path". When I click on each and cycle through the whole route, this chunk never lights up for anything. Is that a bug?

Comments

Sun 10 Mar, 22:08

cycle.travel will always choose a paved traffic-free path in preference to the equivalent length of paved road, but if it’s much further, it’s more of a judgement call. There isn’t any option to change that I’m afraid (for the usual reason that more options mean renting more servers and renting more servers is expensive!).

I’d like to offer more alternatives but it’s complex algorithmically – here’s a discussion related to implementing it in OSRM, the routing engine which cycle.travel is based on.

Could you link to the section of road that isn’t being shown in the summary?

Sun 10 Mar, 23:40

Thanks very much for your answers. It's great that traffic-free is preferred! The reason I find it useful to see several traffic-free routes (even if a bit longer) is because I will sometimes change routes depending on what bike/scooter I use, weather conditions and road work that may be ongoing. But yeah I understand the constraints, and it's already doing a great job I think.

I'm not sure how to link to a specific section but here's a route example where most of it is unaccounted for:

cycle.travel/map?from=Niort&to=Coulon&fromLL=46.3241132,-0.4649403&toLL=46.3221277,-0.5861466

By the way, could you tell me what the "Routes" mode does? I couldn't figure out what this is about exactly.

Mon 11 Mar, 12:16

The “routes” mode is new and follows signposted routes only – anything that’s marked with dots on the map (= cycle networks in OSM).