Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

No app maps in Canary Islands? (Spain)

Tuesday 6 February
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi, it appears that journeys in the Canary Islands can be planned and saved on the website, but when opened on the app, there is no map coverage (just topographical lines). The app also won't allow offline maps to be downloaded. example

Am I missing something? If I'm not, is this an easy fix in the next ~2 weeks? 😂 (I'm planning a trip to the Canary Islands.)

By the way: I noticed that Madeira, the Azores and Alaska & Hawaiʻi are similar, in that journeys can be planned on the website but the app doesn't support maps there. (It seems the Azores, Alaska and Hawaiʻi also don't have elevation data on the website maps.) 

Madeira, Azores, Hawaiʻi examples

✏️ Edited to add: I saw Richard's comments on server resources in another thread. Given Alaska's size and few roads, I certainly understand why it's not a priority. Hopefully coverage for the aforementioned European islands could be added, though. And personally I'd like to see Hawaiʻi coverage added...  someday :) 

Comments

Wed 7 Feb, 10:44

Generating the maps for the app is actually the easy bit – much easier (and less resource-heavy) than either the website maps or the routing! So that should be very doable – I’ll take a look.

(Anyone who cycles the near-vertical hills of Madeira has my undying respect…)

Wed 7 Feb, 20:36

Thanks for taking a look Richard!

Using Komoot in Taiwan recently gave me a new appreciation for your routing algorithms and website & app usability ;) 

Sun 11 Feb, 16:33

I’ve added Madeira, the Azores, and Hawaii to the app mapping. Well, ok, I’ve added the rest of the world in fact. :) Don’t get too excited – for the rest of the world it’s just mapping, not routing. But it was just as easy to generate the world as it was to add the missing islands.

The contours are present for the whole world but the hillshading isn’t yet – that’s one for another time!

Your phone may cache the old empty tiles for a while. If you download the offline maps then they should be the latest.

Mon 12 Feb, 05:20

Thanks Richard! This kind of response is a big part of why c.t is so appealing. I was kind of floored when I opened the "offline maps" screen in the app. 

The Canary Islands and Madeira work as expected in the app now. 👏

I noticed that Azores and Hawaiʻi don’t have elevation data on the website or app. Journey elevation profiles look like Holland ;) 

For me, the app's offline map picker can freeze up if zoomed out too far. Workaround: don't zoom out so far :) 

Wed 21 Feb, 00:06

Richard, 

Journeys planned in the Azores do not show any elevation profile. 

Does this mean that the routing engine is ignoring elevation when choosing routes?  

This would be good to know in case I wind up there next month 😀. Thanks!

Thu 22 Feb, 13:54

Exactly that. I have to admit I hadn’t even been aware that the Azores were included but it looks like they come along with the Portugal data! I’m planning to rework the European elevation data soon so can take a look at including it then.

Fri 23 Feb, 08:38

Thanks Richard. Cheers