Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Is there a routing api in consideration?

11 Jul 2023
by parker767
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hey! I really appreciate the site, mostly for the excellent routing solution that's also not google maps. That said, I have some rather ridiculous ancient hardware that I like to use maps on (I use Google Glass on a daily basis), but given the absurdity of asking someone else to support this hardware, I'd really appreciate an api or something to write my own support.

Comments

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 22:48

It’s always something I’ve shied away from! There is only one of me and running an API (keeping it stable, sorting out tokens/billing/etc. infrastructure, protecting it from overuse, all of that) is honestly not something I have the time, the skill or particularly the inclination to do.

But if it’s a fun hobbyist thing that you’re just using for personal purposes I should think I could throw a URL at you, with the understanding that it can and will break at any point. Is it basically A–B routing you’re looking for?

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 22:52

Yeah, just short little a-b routing for getting around town while avoiding getting hit by cars :p.

In case something breaks it's always fine, I can take the less friendly routes anyway.