Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Adding layers

29 Jun 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I've been using cycle.travel to plan visits to heritage sites using the cycle network. Absolutely love this app, thank you!

Currently doing it by cross-referencing lists of places with the map view here and adding via points.

Would you consider a Places of Interest type map symbol, showing scheduled monuments in the UK? Would anyone else enjoy this?

Comments

Thu 29 Jun 2023, 18:01

Glad you like it!

cycle.travel’s map data comes from OpenStreetMap and so anything that we show needs to be in the OSM dataset. If there’s something consistently useful in OSM that we’re not currently showing then I’m very happy to hear suggestions.

Alternatively… you could try downloading the Historic England data for scheduled monuments and displaying it in cycle.travel. It’s a bit involved and requires a fast computer (because it’s a massive dataset) but here’s how to do it:

1. Go to https://opendata-historicengland.hub.arcgis.com/datasets/historicengland::national-heritage-list-for-england-nhle/explore?layer=6 – this is Historic England’s dataset
  2. Click ‘Download’
  3. Look for ‘GeoJSON’ and click ‘Download’ underneath that
  4. A large (26.5Mb) file will download to your computer
  5. In cycle.travel’s map page, go to the map switcher (top right) and click ‘Trace GPX’ (it’s actually a GeoJSON file we’re loading, not a GPX, but both work)
  6. Find the file you downloaded and select it

You’ll then see the Historic England data displayed on the map. It will slow things down a bit because there’s so much data, but you might be able to work with it. Note that (for obscure technical reasons) it won’t currently coexist with the Ordnance Survey mapping!

Mon 17 Jul 2023, 09:26

I'll try this thanks! And sent you an email re: long term suggestions. Warm wishes

Michelle