Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Route permanently closed 😢

16 Aug 2022
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

We recently embarked on a tour from Sheffield to Poppit Sands near Cardigan, Wales. We used cycle.travel, paved, and can honestly say the routes were fantastic although I probably wouldn’t have routed over the Gospel Pass to Abergavenny on a loaded bike 😂 The only problem we had was going from Abergavenny to Swansea. We were on route 46 not far from Brynmawr. The road Lower Cwm Nant Gam ends and there should be a cycle path but there is a locked gate that says no vehicles and something about gas. I spoke to a postman who didn’t know of an alternative. We unloaded, chucked our bikes over the fence, reloaded and the had to push our bikes up the hill because the path has been dug up and was unrideable. Luckily it wasn’t very far. The gate at the other end opened but there was an NCN sign saying the route was permanently closed. It no longer shows on the Sustrans map. Just a heads up really if you’re going that way 😊🚴🏻‍♀️

Comments

Tue 16 Aug 2022, 16:23

Edit Open Street Map to show that the route has been closed. This will be a service to all cycle tourists. Thanks for letting everyone know.

Fri 19 Aug 2022, 19:07

Thanks Rachael!

The whole area there has been a construction site for several years for the new Heads of the Valleys road. It sounds like the ‘temporary’ route has closed and people are now directed onto the new route.

I’ve updated OpenStreetMap accordingly (which is what cycle.travel uses as its base map data). cycle.travel will follow when it takes the next update in a few weeks.

The Gospel Pass is very strenuous but very hilly…!