Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

maps.me new version problem

3 Jul 2022
by Tim Bird
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi folks, I have been using maps.me for some time with KML routes. They have just released a new version  (1 July 2022) of maps.me for Andriod (V14.0.71348) and KML files will not load any more. The app appears to be asking for bookmarks in association with the track. The file downloads but shows as 0 bookmarks. I would welcome any suggestions. Cheers, Tim.

Comments

Sun 3 Jul 2022, 14:27

I may have jumped the gun! 

I've just had a "bookmarks restored" message on my map.me app. Previous routes appear to be on the maps, also newly created routes from cycle.travel that have just been downloaded. The updated app would appear to no longer have the option to select and deselect routes, all appear at the one time. Also, map.me doesn't focus on a newly downloaded route, it stays on your current location. To check if the route is shown its necessary to move the map to the area of your newly downloaded route. 

Hopefully I have understood this correctly, I am always happy to be contradicted. NOT a computer or phone app expert by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for all the hard work that goes into this site. Cheers, Tim.

Sat 10 Dec 2022, 20:06

hello mr tim bird 

for maps,me version you mention of maps. if you create kml file with route you can view it in maps but you need add point bookmark in kmz or kml file before export it or if you forget to make  bookmark in kml file you bookmark any place on map then form favorite choose bookmark then check on route you need 

hope it helpful for you 

regards 

khaled 

Sun 11 Dec 2022, 19:43

My understanding is that maps.me was bought by a payments company. There is an open source fork called Organic Maps (https://organicmaps.app) that isn’t loaded with marketing “features”. According to their website they support KML import. (Again, I have not verified)

Fri 16 Dec 2022, 15:27

Many thanks to Khaled and Brad Hepler above, regards, Tim.