Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Probably a silly question

25 May 2022
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

This is probably just me being an eejit, but is there a way of downloading a GPS version of my planned ride? I’m very reliant on the blue dot on Google maps to show me where I am. If there was a way of having the same thing with cycle.com it would change my life. I did try the download a GPS for phone option, but it just seemed to be a load of code, and I’m not sure how to utilise it on my iPhone.  Today I have parted ways permanently with the Google maps woman after she lead me and my touring bike miles over rock strewn tracks and eventually into into a farmer’s field near Villefranch de Lauragais and then suggested I cross a live intercity train line, where it looked as if there had once been an underpass that was now choked up with trees. There were several other tyre tracks showing I was not her first victim. 

Comments

Thu 26 May 2022, 12:48

Absolutely!

You’ve evidently found the GPS download button already.

The problem with iPhones is that they don’t always recognise that the GPX track is a download, and sometimes they show it in the browser window instead (as you say, “a load of code”).

If you’re updated to the latest operating system then it should do it correctly – it’ll say “Do you want to download ‘somefilenameorother.gpx’?”, you click ‘Ok’, and it’ll put a file in your Downloads folder. You can then open that with any app on your phone that understands GPX files – I like MapOut, but there’s also BikeMap or OsmAnd or several others. 

If you’re on an older operating system, you might get the code appearing in the window. If so, you should be able to use the ‘Share’ button (a square with an arrow coming out of it) to open it in whatever app you have installed.

And in a month or two there’ll be a cycle.travel iPhone app so you can open the route directly on your phone!

Thu 20 Oct 2022, 01:42

What is the app named? I cant find it on the AppStore 

Thu 20 Oct 2022, 06:49

It’s just going through final testing (these things always take longer than expected…!) so should be ready in a couple of weeks from now.

Thu 20 Oct 2022, 09:07

Thank you for all the hard work 😀