Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

App development

11 Mar 2022
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi Richard, loving the web-browser site for planning

You’ve mentioned that an iPhone app (with downloadable map tiles?) is in development.   Is an android platform likely to be a lot further down the road?  

For me I find I’m good with the phone browser most of the time, but sometimes I could really do with  off-line maps (before I descend into a deep valley with no signal).  I guess there may be significant licensing costs associated with this.

I’m aware that you are a small setup and can’t do everything! 

Comments

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 22:58

It’s a bit of an unknown! The iPhone app is working well – I used it to navigate across London the other day and everything was just as it should be. I’ve got a bunch of finishing off/tidying up to do and then it’ll be ready.

I’d like to look at Android after that, and lots of the work will be reusable – the maps, in particular, and the logic behind the turn-by-turn directions. But I don’t have much experience in building Android apps so I’m a bit wary of saying how long it’ll take, particularly because Android has more hardware-related gotchas than iOS does…

Fri 18 Mar 2022, 18:55

Thanks for the reply.  I’ll have a think when my current android  phone nears end of life.  I’m not dedicated to either platform.

Mon 21 Mar 2022, 16:28

Hi Richard,

Having recently moved your app has been invaluable in finding some quiet routes to explore around our new house. I am singing your praises to anyone who will listen!

I have a query which I don’t think is your problem but thought I’d ask anyway. I download routes to an iPhone using the BikeGPX app and always appreciated the audible sharp turn alarm. Unfortunately this has stopped working and I cannot find any way to contact the app developer to query why this is. Are you able to help please?

Many thanks, Ruth 

Tue 22 Mar 2022, 09:01

Thank you!

That seems strange – is it just with standard GPX track files? I’ll forward your question to the BikeGPX developer and hopefully he’ll be able to take a look.

Tue 22 Mar 2022, 14:49

I am finding routes on your website by searching round trips or pub/cafe rides and then downloading them to my iPhone. I think that means a standard GPX track file?  Funnily enough my husband has the same problem. We both set off from the house yesterday, received on beep for the first turn and then silence for the rest of our ride.  Very odd.

Thanks for forwarding the query; I could not find a link to ask anyone on the app.

Tue 22 Mar 2022, 17:16

Query update. After further investigation it seems that the lack of audible turn alarms on BikeGPX only occurs when we turn on our Sena headsets which use Bluetooth.  My apologies for wasting your time. If you are able to relay this message to the Bike GPX team I would be grateful. Many thanks for your help. 
Ruth